Frank Gore

RichardBak

Re: Frank Gore

Post by RichardBak »

sheajets wrote:Gore will make the Hall just based on good production for an absurdly long time for a running back. Regarding truly great...dominant seasons, he only had one in his life, 1,695 yards rushing in 2006. Other than that he'd only hit 1,200 yards in his career 2 other times

The longevity and compiling will get him in, but Gore has never been among the elite RB's in the league aside from 2006. He's really never been dominant, just good.
I agree--not elite, but good for a very long time at a position with a high burn rate. Averaging exactly 1,000 yards a season for 16 seasons deserves a berth in Canton IMHO.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

What sells Gore for me was the heavy lifting he did for a 49ers team that went to three straight NFC Championship games and a SB, where Gore played well, giving the team a chance to win it all at the end. He had also played well when the Niners overcame Atlanta and a 17 point deficit in the NFC Championship. Had the Niners not had crucial special teams turnovers in the 2011/12 NFC game which allowed the Giants to prevail and an underthrown interception in the 2013/14 NFC game which allowed Seattle to advance to the SB, they might have gone to three straight SB games.

When he went to the Colts to team with Andrew Luck, the expectations for a SB appearance were high amongst fans but injuries to Luck, forced defenses to gang up on Gore where his numbers went down. He still played very well, with a high average yards per attempt as a journeyman running back but never played for another high quality team until Buffalo, where his carries were reduced drastically. Counting postseason, he deserves to be in the HOF, in my view ...
JWL

Post by JWL »

The Don Sutton of running backs?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

RichardBak wrote:
sheajets wrote:Gore will make the Hall just based on good production for an absurdly long time for a running back. Regarding truly great...dominant seasons, he only had one in his life, 1,695 yards rushing in 2006. Other than that he'd only hit 1,200 yards in his career 2 other times

The longevity and compiling will get him in, but Gore has never been among the elite RB's in the league aside from 2006. He's really never been dominant, just good.
I agree--not elite, but good for a very long time at a position with a high burn rate. Averaging exactly 1,000 yards a season for 16 seasons deserves a berth in Canton IMHO.
I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again:

Being very good for however many seasons means being very good, not great. I feel about Gore exactly as I feel about Jim Marshall: HOVG but not HOF.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

rhickok1109 wrote:
RichardBak wrote:

I think I've said this before, but I'll say it again:

Being very good for however many seasons means being very good, not great. I feel about Gore exactly as I feel about Jim Marshall: HOVG but not HOF.
Totally understand what you're saying, but in his defense doing it at the RB position at such an age is incredibly difficult and rare, especially when we have seen so many guys totally break down right around 29/30 and fall off the NFL landscape. Rushing for 7,100 yards AFTER his 30th bday is incredible

But I agree there wasn't much in terms of prime of his career greatness.