So, what's the purpose of this new USFL?

vikingsfan1963

So, what's the purpose of this new USFL?

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

I know the original back in the 80s went after some known college players as well as NFL free agents, but this one doesn't seem to be resembling that I would guess because of an inability to compete with salaries? Plus, what's the deal with all games being in Birmingham when all the teams represent cities where they will not play!?
JuggernautJ

Re: So, what's the purpose of this new USFL?

Post by JuggernautJ »

The only (legally allowed) purpose of a corporation is to make money for its shareholders.

Edited to add: Excluding, of course, non-profits.
single wing

Post by single wing »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:I know the original back in the 80s went after some known college players as well as NFL free agents, but this one doesn't seem to be resembling that I would guess because of an inability to compete with salaries? Plus, what's the deal with all games being in Birmingham when all the teams represent cities where they will not play!?

This is simply a remake of the Spring League. Its owned by the same guy. Since there rating & interest was so weak they simply created 8 names from the 80's USFL to try to spark some interest. The players so far signed to this league aren't even on the same level as those that played in the AAF & XFL season shortened leagues recently.
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

single wing wrote:
vikingsfan1963 wrote:I know the original back in the 80s went after some known college players as well as NFL free agents, but this one doesn't seem to be resembling that I would guess because of an inability to compete with salaries? Plus, what's the deal with all games being in Birmingham when all the teams represent cities where they will not play!?

This is simply a remake of the Spring League. Its owned by the same guy. Since there rating & interest was so weak they simply created 8 names from the 80's USFL to try to spark some interest. The players so far signed to this league aren't even on the same level as those that played in the AAF & XFL season shortened leagues recently.
And the Spring League was simply a remake of the FXFL.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

So now I'm understanding this a bit better. Although Fox and NBC are showing games plus on their sister networks. I think the Spring League may have been on CBS Sports Network maybe?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I assume the purpose is to make money, as with any enterprise.
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

The purpose? TV programming and of course, $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ !!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Due to weather, having a problem completing their first weekend. Better have a more spartan attitude than that because bad weather has always been a part of football, though lightning is a good excuse. I bet Bronco Nagurski played during lightning ... haha
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

I sure hope attendance isn't a big deal (and I'm guessing it's not since all games are in the same city) but there's next to no one in the stadium for the 2nd game on Easter Sunday. I would believe the casual TV viewer might tune in see the nearly empty stadium and turn to other programming.
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

Seeing as Fox has a controlling equity stake in the league, to me it's no different than the entertainment division greenlighting several episodes and paying for it. There is going to be the most direct correlation to ratings as to whether there is a second season. Or, as is the case with spring leagues, whether or not they complete the inaugural schedule.