So, what's the purpose of this new USFL?

RyanChristiansen

Re: So, what's the purpose of this new USFL?

Post by RyanChristiansen »

It's a made-for-TV league in the way all of the games are played in the same location and with low expectations for fan turnout. I do think the optics with few fans are bad, though, and they should probably hire some extras.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Brian wolf wrote:Due to weather, having a problem completing their first weekend. Better have a more spartan attitude than that because bad weather has always been a part of football, though lightning is a good excuse. I bet Bronco Nagurski played during lightning ... haha

A shocking assumption.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

I don't know? What's the purpose of arms on a T-Rex? Or nipples on men?
BD Sullivan

Post by BD Sullivan »

I've yet to see any games that were played before anything even remotely resembling a big crowd. As previously noted, this is just an excuse to have TV programming. The NFL gets monster ratings, so Fox and NBC are glad to skim even a portion of that audience for time periods that are just dumping grounds.

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of having teams that are supposed to represent specific cities. Does anyone in these communities get excited when their team wins? It's ironic that Birmingham (where all the games have been played) is in the championship game--to be played in Canton on Sunday. The game does have one connection to the old USFL--the Stars are once again playing--like they did in all three back then.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

I will say this: The networks have treated it like a top notch league although I don't think any of the broadcast teams are 1s or 2s.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:I will say this: The networks have treated it like a top notch league although I don't think any of the broadcast teams are 1s or 2s.
The reasons the networks have treated the league as "top notch" is because they own it.
(And, as stated above, the only reason for a corporation to exist is to make money for the owners.)

Pardon my cynicism...
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

My wife and I attended the USFL championship game in Canton. Had a great time. The game was competitive and several players sort of jumped out at you. Maybe a few will get shots to play in the NFL. Even if not many do, I enjoyed watching the league all season and I hope it will be back next year. Some of those guys have already been there, maybe they'll get back.

We felt bad for the Philadelphia QB. He broke his ankle late in the game.

Some of the coaches may have helped themselves, too. All-in-all, a good 1st season.