the best hitter since Joe Montana

JWL

the best hitter since Joe Montana

Post by JWL »

Quincy Williams of the Jets might be the most vicious tackler in the league. Through the first five games, he was among the leaders in solo tackles and was leading the league in forced fumbles even though he did not play in Week 1. He had been picked up off waivers from Jacksonville just before the season started and thus was not ready to play immediately. Cutting Williams has to be included in Urban Meyer's growing list of missteps.

Williams was a major reason why the Jets won in Week 4. Not many guys ever tackle Derrick Henry clean and without help. He also had a key PBU (pass break up) in overtime.

In the game in London vs Atlanta, Williams forced two fumbles. There was also a play where Cordarrelle Patterson bolted past the line of scrimmage for four or five yards and then went backwards as if he had actually ran into a wall. He was hit by Williams. Earlier in the season Williams had a brutal, legal tackle of James White.

I've not seen tackling this vicious from a New York player since Lawrence Taylor. I am not exaggerating. I have actually spent time to think about whether I have seen a more brutal tackler play for one of my local teams since Taylor.
Small sample size theater? Yes, sure. Alas, I am reporting what I've seen.

The thread title was a reference to a line in "The Waterboy". Williams is young and is playing on a young team with young coaches. I get the sense Williams does not always know what he is doing but like Bobby Boucher, if Williams hits you, you're done.

Williams did make the Pro Football Journal midseason All-Pro second team. He has not started recently due to a concussion and Jarrad Davis's return to the lineup.
JWL

Re: the best hitter since Joe Montana

Post by JWL »

Williams had 15 tackles today and two were for a loss.