Unitas Debuts as a Charger

Lee Elder

Re: Unitas Debuts as a Charger

Post by Lee Elder »

When Unitas got to San Diego, the head coach was Harland Svare. Svare did not enjoy a successful career as a head coach in Los Angeles or San Diego. Ron Waller replaced Svare before the end of the 1973 season. The Chargers didn't win much for Waller, either. Forrest Gregg was a part of the coaching staff. Young guy named Dan Fouts got some time at QB that season.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Since Unitas had such a bad final season, I decided to attempt to find out how he did in the pre-season. I found that he had a good game vs. the Rams and then finished out the pre-season with a 16-of-24 outing for 231 yards and 2 TDs in the final exhibition game vs Minnesota.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:Since Unitas had such a bad final season, I decided to attempt to find out how he did in the pre-season. I found that he had a good game vs. the Rams and then finished out the pre-season with a 16-of-24 outing for 231 yards and 2 TDs in the final exhibition game vs Minnesota.
That's great info. Interesting that he did well in the preseason. Thanks.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:Since Unitas had such a bad final season, I decided to attempt to find out how he did in the pre-season. I found that he had a good game vs. the Rams and then finished out the pre-season with a 16-of-24 outing for 231 yards and 2 TDs in the final exhibition game vs Minnesota.
I looked for Unitas's preseason records from '73 w/ no luck. Can you tell me what game(s) he missed? I'm pretty sure the game I went to where he sat out was against the Eagles. Thanks!
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Against San Francisco in the '73 pre-season, Unitas was 5-of-10 for 77 yds, 1 TD and 1 INT