Worst entity/group to have a well-known nickname

Bryan

Worst entity/group to have a well-known nickname

Post by Bryan »

Watching some 1980's games, and noticed how mediocre John Elway's offenses were in Denver. For a brief time, their wideout group of Vance Johnson-Mark Jackson-Ricky Nattiel was known as the "Three Amigos". That group kind of sucked...Johnson was the only guy who had reliable hands, and Nattiel was just a nominal WR. Sometimes they would catch deep balls because Elway would scramble around and buy time, but that group wasn't deserving of a nickname. I think the Dolphins' Killer B's defense had lost their sting by 1984 and were extremely average, yet they still had a nickname so people thought they were good. I think Doug Betters even won DPOY in 1984. But that group didn't deserve a nickname, either.
racepug

Re: Worst entity/group to have a well-known nickname

Post by racepug »

Just about everything about the 1980s Broncos was mediocre. It sure doesn't say much for the A.F.C. of that era that that team made so many S.B.s. The Dolphins of that era weren't really very good, either.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Since these nicknames are not well known I guess they do not qualify but I read in "Braves on the Warpath" that in the 60s Washington's offensive line was the "Guardian Angels" and the defensive line was the "Four Furies". The book stated that the fact those names are not remembered today indicates how well it described their actual play. Also in 1983 Washington's secondary was named the "Pearl Harbor Crew" due to how often they were bombed. Hard to say how bad they were as the fact that the rush defense was so good and the other teams were usually playing from behind was a factor in how many yards they gave up. They did lead the league in interceptions I believe.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Watching some 1980's games, and noticed how mediocre John Elway's offenses were in Denver. For a brief time, their wideout group of Vance Johnson-Mark Jackson-Ricky Nattiel was known as the "Three Amigos". That group kind of sucked...Johnson was the only guy who had reliable hands, and Nattiel was just a nominal WR. Sometimes they would catch deep balls because Elway would scramble around and buy time, but that group wasn't deserving of a nickname.
Exactly. In SB XXIV, that group was exposed by the 49er secondary as inept. Vance Johnson wasn't too bad (he had 76 catches in 89, and should have made the Pro Bowl), but he was a #2 WR at best, and Jackson, Young, and Nattiel were mediocre. Also, the TE's were lackluster. Clarence Kay could block, but wasn't too much of a receiving threat. In addition, Orson Mobley was an underachiever.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Not the best receivers sure but Johnson and Jackson caught enough rocket balls from Elway to help get to the SBs where NFC teams were able to take them away. One good receiver Elway did have was Steve Watson, who made plays and helped him develop but was done by 1987 ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Remember Thunder and Lightning with the Giants ? Rod Dayne and Tiki Barber ... more like Sputter and Fumble.
Barber got better though and was a dual threat that has a HOF case ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

The "Heavy Lunch Bunch"defensive line of the 2000-2002 New Orleans Saints consisting of 350-pounders Norman Hand, Martin Chase and Grady Jackson.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

For a single individual player, I would go with Mike Junkin and his "Mad dog in the meat market" nickname.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Everybody remembers the Smurfs/Fun bunch for the Redskins but Charlie Brown faded quickly ... he was valuable during their two SB years in 1982/83 but left after the 1984 season. Had one more decent season with the Falcons before his career ended.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

The Packers' secondary of the mid-to-late '70s was S.W.A.T.: Steve Luke, Willie Buchanon, Mike McCoy, Johnnie Gray.

From the book, 100 Things Packers Fans Should Know & Do Before They Die:

"Luke was the S, Buchanon was the W, Gray the A, for his nickname "Abdul" and McCoy the T, for his nickname "Tasmanian Devil."

Source: My strange memory, confirmed by the book:
https://books.google.com/books?id=p44nA ... T.&f=false
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen