An alternate All-30s Team

JuggernautJ

Re: An alternate All-30s Team

Post by JuggernautJ »

Isn't the "Green Bay prejudice" due in part to the fact that the Green Bay Press Gazette was one of the few sources of All Pro ratings in the early days of the NFL game?

Taking a look at the (more-or-less randomly selected) All Pros from 1925 there are only two sources listed by PFR: Collyers Eye Magazine and The G.B. Post Gazette.
One might conclude that this is a major reason for many of the "homer" choices.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... allpro.htm
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

JuggernautJ wrote:Isn't the "Green Bay prejudice" due in part to the fact that the Green Bay Press Gazette was one of the few sources of All Pro ratings in the early days of the NFL game?
That makes sense at the margins (i.e. who gets the nod Hinkle or Gutowsky?), but none of Svendsen, Goldenberg, Lee, or Letlow actually had significant postseason honors. They seem to have been pulled out of nowhere in '63 or whenever the '30s all-decade team was released by the HOF.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JuggernautJ wrote:Isn't the "Green Bay prejudice" due in part to the fact that the Green Bay Press Gazette was one of the few sources of All Pro ratings in the early days of the NFL game?

Taking a look at the (more-or-less randomly selected) All Pros from 1925 there are only two sources listed by PFR: Collyers Eye Magazine and The G.B. Post Gazette.
One might conclude that this is a major reason for many of the "homer" choices.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... allpro.htm
The Press-Gazette All-Pro teams were based on a poll of managers and reporters from all the NFL cities.
TanksAndSpartans

Thanks Ralph. I didn't realize that.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Likewise.
Thank you Ralph, as always, for sharing your knowledge of those times.
JameisLoseston

Post by JameisLoseston »

There's a problem with T&S's team that I somehow didn't notice on my first pass through this thread. Hutson is wasted if he doesn't have someone to get him the ball, and I don't trust Dutch Clark to do that on a regular basis. So Herber will need to be on the first team, which means someone will need to be moved off, but man, it's so hard to choose one. Definitely not Clark or Blood... probably Battles, unfortunately.
TanksAndSpartans

:). It's a backfield geared towards the run for sure. Maybe Nags can shoot some jump passes to Hutson and Blood.