Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Gary Najman

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Post by Gary Najman »

I like when Knox brought older players who he had coached before to his new team (Isiah Robertson, Lawrence McCutcheon, Ron Jessie and Bill Simpson to Buffalo; Cullen Bryant, Harold Jackson, Reggie McKenzie and Charle Young to Seattle).
Last edited by Gary Najman on Fri Aug 06, 2021 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Had Knox utilized Charle Young more as a receiver, the Rams may have been more successful, giving the QBs a reliable target but he was downgraded for not being the blocker they wanted. Maybe injuries played a factor but he was wasted in LA. Walsh wouldnt make that mistake in SF.
Knox was smart bringing him back with Seattle. Those years with the Rams may have cost Young a shot at the HOF.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Brian wolf wrote:Had Knox utilized Charle Young more as a receiver, the Rams may have been more successful, giving the QBs a reliable target but he was downgraded for not being the blocker they wanted. Maybe injuries played a factor but he was wasted in LA. Walsh wouldnt make that mistake in SF.
Knox was smart bringing him back with Seattle. Those years with the Rams may have cost Young a shot at the HOF.
Yeah, they were starting Terry Nelson and John Cappeletti (a draft pick they didn't need) over Young and Cullen Bryant. Didn't really make sense.
Lee Elder

Post by Lee Elder »

Brian wolf wrote:I never understood why George Allen wasnt rehired into the NFL in 1986 ?
Allen had a reputation for spending money, although many of the things he did with both the Rams and Washington are common place now. When the Rams players complained about his coaching during his last stint there, ownership panicked and fired him after 2 preseason games. Other owners became leery of Allen because of that quick firing.

But nobody ever said Allen couldn't coach. He won everywhere he went. His finest coaching job was probably the final year of his life at Long Beach State.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Allen should have stayed with the Redskins but may not have had enough faith in Theismann at QB. With Rosenbloom, the Rams were more hollywood and Allen overreached for authority, which Carroll wasnt going for.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Lee Elder wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:I never understood why George Allen wasnt rehired into the NFL in 1986 ?
Allen had a reputation for spending money, although many of the things he did with both the Rams and Washington are common place now. When the Rams players complained about his coaching during his last stint there, ownership panicked and fired him after 2 preseason games. Other owners became leery of Allen because of that quick firing.

But nobody ever said Allen couldn't coach. He won everywhere he went. His finest coaching job was probably the final year of his life at Long Beach State.
I agree about his stint with Long Beach State, it's sad that he died after a Gatorade-bucket bath. I also liked very much his time in the USFL with the Chicago Blitz and Arizona Wranglers, having so many NFL veterans like Greg Landry and Stan White, plus rookies Tim Spencer and Trumaine Johnson.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:I also liked very much his time in the USFL with the Chicago Blitz and Arizona Wranglers, having so many NFL veterans like Greg Landry and Stan White, plus rookies Tim Spencer and Trumaine Johnson.
The Blitz/Wranglers were pretty good, but they probably should have been better considering how much money Allen spent on the roster. He immediately obliterated the USFL spending model by signing NFL veterans. Given Allen's history of financial excess (didn't EBW say that he gave George Allen an unlimited budget, and Allen exceeded it?), its surprising that the USFL hired him. The 1983 Blitz losing to the unknown Stars in the playoffs was a big upset at the time.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Allen wasn't rehired because he stated he wanted to be HC & GM. Quite frankly I pretty much feel Allen shot himself in the foot. By 1986 people knew he was going to be a lot to handle and he would be pissing off players. So why put yourself thru that when you can hire Buddy Ryan. :roll:
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

JKelly wrote:

Allen wasn't rehired because he stated he wanted to be HC & GM. Quite frankly I pretty much feel Allen shot himself in the foot. By 1986 people knew he was going to be a lot to handle and he would be pissing off players. So why put yourself thru that when you can hire Buddy Ryan. :roll:
I don't know how that guy got another HC job after Philly.

Another coach that wasn't a picnic to deal with was Dan Reeves. In 1984, Louis Wright called him an ogre after they lost to the Bears in Week 2. Also, in a 1993 issue of SI (the one with Elway and Reeves on the cover), there were quotes basically saying that coaches and players were really uptight and scared around him.

As for Allen, there is no way he would be GM by then. His philosophy of trading away all his draft picks was not looked at as wise as it may have been before (as the draft was seen more and more in a positive light). He would have to accept coach-only roles. If he did, I would take him over Reeves and Ryan in a heartbeat.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Reeves was always intense, even as a player- coach with the Cowboys. I believe he thought Landry's teams were too finess and didnt really want that in Denver but his offenses in Denver could never match the Cowboys in personnel, which stunted Elway's growth as well. SB defeats or not, Reeves' dramatic wins in the 86/87, 87/88 AFC Championship games and the 98/99 win against a heavily favored Viking team with Atlanta were great wins that showed how tough his teams were and should help him get into the HOF someday ...