Buffalo Fullbacks 1972/1973

JoeZagorski

Buffalo Fullbacks 1972/1973

Post by JoeZagorski »

Hey Guys,
I'm needing some clarity. In April of 1973, Buffalo head coach Lou Saban traded away fullback Wayne Patrick to New England. His other fullback, Jim Braxton, was on the Bills since 1971, and his carries in 1972 dwarfed those of Patrick's. I guess that this is more of an opinion question than anything else, but why do you think that Saban was okay with giving Braxton more carries in 1972? And what do you think were the main reason(s) why Saban was okay with trading Patrick? Both fullbacks had comparable sizes in their height and weight. Do you think that it might have been because Braxton might have been faster than Patrick? Or a better and more explosive blocker? What do you guys think? I forgot to ask Reggie McKenzie this question the previous time that I spoke to him, so I will be calling him back. But I don't want to write anything until I get a lot of opinions. Thanks guys!

Joe Zagorski
Jay Z

Re: Buffalo Fullbacks 1972/1973

Post by Jay Z »

I don't know specifically why Buffalo no longer wanted Patrick or why New England wanted him. 1972 FB Josh Ashton wasn't too big, but they had John Tarver as a backup, and drafted Sam Cunningham. So Patrick wound up getting cut. Patrick wound up playing a bit in the WFL, so he wasn't done physically.

Maybe Patrick asked to be traded and the Bills threw him in. The Bills did not have very good depth at RB. In May they traded for Clem Turner, but he failed his physical in July. Then they traded for Larry Watkins in August, and Watkins played a lot when Braxton was out. Does seem like a bit of a mystery as to why they traded away a resource they needed to replace.
JoeZagorski

Post by JoeZagorski »

Thanks Jay Z. Yeah, that's one of the things that was confusing to me too. Appreciate your help and opinion!
Joe Zagorski
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

My former college freshman dorm is now named after Jim Braxton.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Joe, I responded to your query via Facebook ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
JWL

Post by JWL »

Todd Pence wrote:My former college freshman dorm is now named after Jim Braxton.
I did a bid in Lyon Tower.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

My memory is that Jim Braxton became the Bills starting FB the old-fashioned way. He beat Wayne Patrick out if the job. AS mentioned, Braxton had a bad back causing him to miss the first 8 games of the 1973 season and played very well the rest of the year as O.J. piled up the yards to make 2000.
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Lost in the talk is just how well Watkins did while spelling Braxton. And how quickly he faded out of the league after Braxton returned
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."