Best ever slow footed receivers

7DnBrnc53

Re: Best ever slow footed receivers

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Dave Parks lost some of his speed after getting hurt with the Niners in 1967. Due to contract issues he went to the Saints and became a good tight end. Had he stayed with Brodie and the Niners, could he have had a HOF career ?
I think it was the injury more than anything. He was one of the top receivers in the NFL before it happened. He certainly had a shot at the Hall had his career continued at that pace before getting hurt. He told me that he and Brodie practiced a lot together -- beyond regular practices -- and he credited that with a lot of the success they had together. Would love to know what his career (and the 49ers) chances might have been if they had been able to keep that going. Brodie might have had a HOF career possibly as well.
If he had a healthy Parks in 1970-72, do the Niners go to the Super Bowl?
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Dave Parks lost some of his speed after getting hurt with the Niners in 1967. Due to contract issues he went to the Saints and became a good tight end. Had he stayed with Brodie and the Niners, could he have had a HOF career ?
I think it was the injury more than anything. He was one of the top receivers in the NFL before it happened. He certainly had a shot at the Hall had his career continued at that pace before getting hurt. He told me that he and Brodie practiced a lot together -- beyond regular practices -- and he credited that with a lot of the success they had together. Would love to know what his career (and the 49ers) chances might have been if they had been able to keep that going. Brodie might have had a HOF career possibly as well.
If he had a healthy Parks in 1970-72, do the Niners go to the Super Bowl?
That is a thought-provoking question -- and I gave it some thought. The Cowboys were an experienced and determined playoff team that seemed to have San Francisco's number, so I don't think Brodie/Parks would really change the outcome in those games. As far as 1972, George Allen knew San Francisco well from his days with the Rams and so several of his players who followed him to Washington. Likely the same outcome there as well, with Washington as NFC champs. Plus, 1972 was the year of the big Divisional Round comeback Dallas had against San Francisco, so it's hard to say that Brodie to Parks could have stopped that. Dallas just really seemed to hold a real advantage over the 49ers in the early days of the NFC.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Slower or not, Parks may have made the catches to keep drives alive for Brodie especially in the 1970 NFC Champ game, where they had their chances but couldnt get the ball enough due to Dallas running the ball and clock so well. From what I saw of the game, the Cowboy pass rush stayed on Brodie and Washington and Winsor couldnt make enough big catches when they needed them. Parks would have helped, I believe ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Speaking of skilled but slower receivers, Bob Windsor and the great named Dick Witcher, who made catches while everyone tried to stop the explosive Gene Washington.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

At one time, the Niners also had another tall receiver who helped the Bengals later on, Chip Myers who Bill Walsh liked and thought Dwight Clark was similar to.

Another question. Though he was a great defensive back, Jim Johnson started out as a wide receiver. Could he have somehow helped the SF offense in the 70-72 postseason?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

GameBeforeTheMoney wrote:Dallas just really seemed to hold a real advantage over the 49ers in the early days of the NFC.
Dick Nolan, the 49ers Head Coach had played with Tom Landry on the Giants then for him with the Cowboys.
When Nolan was injured halfway through his first season in Dallas he became the defensive coordinator. He stayed in that capacity for six seasons before taking the reins of the Niners.

It might be that Landry had Nolan's number after so many years together.
Just maybe...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dick_Nola ... _football)
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Glad to see Danny Abramowicz get a mention. Paul Flatley was another tremendous receiver who relied on his precise patterns and great hands to get the job done.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

D Abramo might have thrived with Kilmer and the Redskins but once they signed underrated Roy Jefferson in 1971, the receivers were set, while Abramowicz without Kilmer, declined statistically ...

Another big, steady target was Pete Gent of the Cowboys but injuries and "non-conformity" kept his career short.
Good thing he could write. North Dallas 40 and Eight Men Out are my two favorite sports movies ...