Least Likely Super Bowl QB

RichardBak

Re: Least Likely Super Bowl QB

Post by RichardBak »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
RichardBak wrote:Knowing next to nothing about Kerry Collins, I looked up his stats on PFR. The dude had 23 fumbles one season (2001)! I figured this had to be some kind of record---which it was---but then saw that Daunte Culpepper had 23 the following season! Can anybody fill me in on why these two guys played oopsie so often with the ball? Just seems like an extraordinary number of times to fumble.

Botched handoffs get recorded as a fumble by the QB in the stats if I'm not mistaken. That could be part of the story
That makes sense. Guess when it comes to ball-handling skills not every QB is Eddie LeBaron or YA Tittle.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

RichardBak wrote:Knowing next to nothing about Kerry Collins, I looked up his stats on PFR. The dude had 23 fumbles one season (2001)! I figured this had to be some kind of record---which it was---but then saw that Daunte Culpepper had 23 the following season! Can anybody fill me in on why these two guys played oopsie so often with the ball? Just seems like an extraordinary number of times to fumble.
Many QB fumbles occur on sacks. Collins was sacked 36 times in 2001 and Culpepper was sacked 47 times in 2002.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I always thought Joe Montana was one of the best QBs at not fumbling the ball. Are there measurables or statistics on who fumbled the fewest times based on career pass attempts ? I will admit, not a stat-head on this site ...
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I was just remembering what I had learned about Bobby Layne, who led the league in fumbles his last year with the NY Yanks (10 in 1949) and first year with Detroit (13 in 1950). Buddy Parker, who took over as HC in 1951, saw that Layne had fallen into the bad habit of pulling away from center too fast---and that's because his O-line in NY was so bad he was always anticipating getting sacked. They worked hard on getting Layne to calm down just a tad and to have some faith in his O-line (which was upgraded in the early '50s with guys like Creekmur, Stanfel, and Banonis).
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Was thinking about getting a Bobby Layne Steelers jersey from ebbetts.com but being an old Cowboy's fan, hard to wear a Pitts jersey from any era ... haha
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Nick Foles. 28-27 career record as a starter during the regular season.
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

Re: Daunte Culpeper....He was a big guy for a QB but had smallish hands for his size.
racepug

Post by racepug »

JeffreyMiller wrote:Trent Dilfer
Off the top of my head, he's my pick.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

There are positives you can offer about Dilfer once he went in for Banks (and dumping defending-SB-champ he for Grbac the following year quite unnecessary), but it’s tough to get around he not being as good as any other winning SB quarterback.

In 2010 we weren’t far at all from Hanie-vs-Sanchez!
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Earl Morrall ... Played well with different teams but got hurt once the job was his ... Baltimore picked him up and it was a magical 1968 year. Unfortunately, the Super Bowl was in 1969.
Earl Morrall - what a weird career. From what I can tell he was mostly little more than a journeyman QB but he had, what? Two or three GREAT seasons? Other than that, though - meh. Strange.
Last edited by racepug on Sun Jun 20, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.