2021 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Brian wolf

Re: 2021 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Post by Brian wolf »

Didnt George Halas believe a "schlep" like Latone, should be in the HOF ? ... haha
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

It's almost like the pre war players are on the list in invisible ink. That's why I stopped voting. Among the 4 I mentioned Schnellbacher probably has the best chance. Played in the golden age, AAFC connection, etc.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Schnellbacher was the Cecil Isbell of defensive backs, a great talent that retired too soon but damn, 35 interceptions ! ... no wonder the Browns struggled with the Giants in 1950.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Brian wolf wrote:Schnellbacher was the Cecil Isbell of defensive backs, a great talent that retired too soon but damn, 35 interceptions ! ... no wonder the Browns struggled with the Giants in 1950.
From T.J. Troup at PFJ:
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 3.14.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 3.14.54 PM.png (122.67 KiB) Viewed 12095 times
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Stanley Morgan had a big year in 1986, and Abe Woodson for a time was the best kick returner.
Bryan

Morgan has the misfortune of playing in a run-oriented offense for most of his career. He averaged over 20 yards a catch his first 6 seasons and let the league in TDs in 1979. I once asked him if he ever wondered about the numbers he might have put up playing in a Don Coryell offense, you should have seen his face light up! Stanley Steamer will be getting my vote.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

racepug wrote:
sluggermatt15 wrote:Please do not forget to vote on the above finalists for this year's HOVG Class.
When do we get to vote? How does it work? How many nominees can we vote for?
There will be a ballot in the Coffin Corner. You must vote for exactly 10 of the Finalists for your ballot to count. The deadline is typically the end of October. Andy Piascik will provide more details when the time draws closer. Stay tuned. :)
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:It's almost like the pre war players are on the list in invisible ink. That's why I stopped voting. Among the 4 I mentioned Schnellbacher probably has the best chance. Played in the golden age, AAFC connection, etc.
I think many fans forget or don't know that the NFL did not allow multiple substitutions until 1950. So, players during and pre-WWII played the entire game, all three phases. They were true athletes.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

sluggermatt15 wrote:I think many fans forget or don't know that the NFL did not allow multiple substitutions until 1950. So, players during and pre-WWII played the entire game, all three phases. They were true athletes.
I agree, especially those athletes who played both ways the closer you get to World War II. The earliest players, though... I believe there's room for debate about whether they were the best athletes, because many of the best football players in the early days chose NOT to play professional football. It would be interesting to know when professional football reached the point where former standout college athletes made up the majority of the players.

What about the black athletes who were shut out of the NFL for a decade-and-a-half? Kenny Washington, for example, didn't get the chance to play in the NFL until he was nearly washed up. He was a premiere athlete in the Pacific Coast League when he was with the Hollywood Bears for six seasons. Why hasn't he made it into the Hall of Very Good? Too few seasons? I see Charley Hennigan actually played fewer seasons of pro ball than Washington, and Hennigan is in the HOVG.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

TanksAndSpartans wrote:It's almost like the pre war players are on the list in invisible ink. That's why I stopped voting. Among the 4 I mentioned Schnellbacher probably has the best chance. Played in the golden age, AAFC connection, etc.
This is defeatist thinking and, by not voting, you make it a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Like racepug, I hadn't heard of Latone before you (and others here) brought him to my attention. And it is because of comments by folks like Ralph that my opinion of Latone's accomplishments have soared.
You helped bring Latone (and other older players) to our attention by posting about them and stating their case yet you are still negative about the process...

We study football history here. And we attempt to recognize greatness through our Hall.
I am telling you I think Latone has an excellent chance this time... but not if his biggest supporters don't vote for him.
Educate, learn and participate is what we do here. So, please participate and help make the time you spent educating us into a change in the HoVG.

I was disappointed last year when my nominee Peggy Parratt didn't make it but I haven't given up...
It's the fourth quarter and we're down by a field goal... you can hang up the cleats or you can redouble your efforts. The results are in your hands... how will you answer the call?

(This post was not meant to be as confrontational as it may sound... but please, do not give up on Latone or the process when we are so close. Please vote!)
Last edited by JuggernautJ on Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Brian wolf wrote:Didnt George Halas believe a "schlep" like Latone, should be in the HOF ? ... haha
rhickok1109 wrote: I may have said this before but it undoubtedly bears repeating.

When Johnny Blood and I were at the HOF's induction weekend in 1973, John Bankert (who was then assistant director of the Hall, I believe) held an informal late-night session at which George Halas, Ernie Nevers, and Blood were encouraged to talk about old-time players who should be inducted. The three were unanimous on Verne Lewellen, Lavvie Dilweg, and Tony Latone. 48 years later, only one of them is in the HOF.
http://www.profootballresearchers.com/f ... f=8&t=4229