2021 Hall of Very Good Finalists

sluggermatt15

2021 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Post by sluggermatt15 »

The HOVG Committee is pleased to announce the following twenty finalists for the 2021 HOVG Class.

Grady Alderman
Mark Bavaro
Matt Blair
George Christensen
Earl Faison
Russ Francis
Bert Jones
Mike Kenn
Tony Latone
Stanley Morgan
John Niland
Buster Ramsey
Otto Schnellbacher
Clark Shaughnessy
Bill Stanfill
Mike Stratton
Jeff van Note
Bob Vogel
Russ Washington
Abe Woodson

Thank you to all PFRA members who nominated one or more players.

Please do not forget to vote on the above finalists for this year's HOVG Class.
Brian wolf

Re: 2021 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Post by Brian wolf »

Great list ...

Lots of high quality, offensive linemen.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:Great list ...

Lots of high quality, offensive linemen.
It really is a great list. Also, a few real oldies (Latone, Christensen, Ramsey) on there. Good to see them earning respect.
IrishJimmy

Post by IrishJimmy »

Absolutely love Bert Jones on this list!!!!
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

It’s cool to see Bert Jones on this list. I agree. I just can’t figure out how the committee decided he should be on the list while leaving off Joe Theismann. Both players had a career-ending injury, so it’s not a sympathy vote necessarily. Theismann had better numbers, even without his three good years in the CFL. Scratching my head trying to understand.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

No disrespect to Bert Jones fans and I am one of them, a true generational talent but three great years doesnt make a career. I feel the same way about Cecil Isbell. Both were talented passers but Isbell suddenly retired and Jones stayed injured. Meanwhile winners with less talent still arent getting their due, like Tommy Thompson, Jack Kemp, Frank Ryan, Joe Theismann and Phil Simms. Yes, I like to be opinionated to stir the pot and create lively debate but even Charley Johnson won more games than Jones. His career was shortened and the team may have stayed in Baltimore had he never injured his shoulder but the team left and true Colts fans are still bitter but nothing can be done about it.
Like Greg Cook, Todd Marinovich, Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin and others, Jones had all of us wondering what could have been ?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

My mistake, I had forgotten Kemp was elected to the HOVG.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote:No disrespect to Bert Jones fans and I am one of them, a true generational talent but three great years doesnt make a career.
Be that as it may, I would still rather have Bert Jones in the HOVG instead of some schlep like Tony Latone.

>>>>>>TROLLING ACTIVATED<<<<<<
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Bryan wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:No disrespect to Bert Jones fans and I am one of them, a true generational talent but three great years doesnt make a career.
Be that as it may, I would still rather have Bert Jones in the HOVG instead of some schlep like Tony Latone.

>>>>>>TROLLING ACTIVATED<<<<<<
*** shakes fist! *** ;) :lol:
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Bryan wrote:Be that as it may, I would still rather have Bert Jones in the HOVG instead of some schlep like Tony Latone.
I know! Who is even nominating these pre Super Bowl players?