2021 Hall of Very Good Finalists

TanksAndSpartans

Re: 2021 Hall of Very Good Finalists

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

RyanChristiansen wrote:The earliest players, though... I believe there's room for debate about whether they were the best athletes, because many of the best football players in the early days chose NOT to play professional football.
I prefer to look at what happened on the field rather than what might have happened on the field. There are plenty of quotes where Red Grange and others discuss how much more physical the pro game was.
RyanChristiansen wrote:What about the black athletes who were shut out of the NFL for a decade-and-a-half? Kenny Washington, for example, didn't get the chance to play in the NFL until he was nearly washed up. He was a premiere athlete in the Pacific Coast League when he was with the Hollywood Bears for six seasons. Why hasn't he made it into the Hall of Very Good? Too few seasons? I see Charley Hennigan actually played fewer seasons of pro ball than Washington, and Hennigan is in the HOVG.
There's not much interest in other leagues like the PCFL, but I think Washington would have a better chance than someone like Bobby Marshall. There's no interest in pre-NFL.

Someone mentioned elite athletes, Marshall played baseball and hockey as well, but it was a long time ago, so never mind.
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.36.26 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-11 at 9.36.26 PM.png (19.29 KiB) Viewed 12477 times
https://www.profootballresearchers.org/ ... d61#p39444

If Tank Conrad was a HOVG finalist, I'd vote for him, but for the players in the category you mentioned, its near impossible to make a case. Only black newspapers were covering the games and they were always a week late and didn't have a very extensive sports section. Folks like Bob and Tod went to the microfilm, but it sounds like there just wasn't a lot there.

https://www.profootballresearchers.org/ ... 01-393.pdf

http://profootballresearchers.com/archi ... 05-384.pdf
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

JuggernautJ s right, TanksAndSpartans ... Your vote does count and you have educated new voters and voters for the future. Dont give up on players you believe in. I am voting for the schlep Tony Latone myself and believe he will make it.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:JuggernautJ s right, TanksAndSpartans ... Your vote does count and you have educated new voters and voters for the future. Dont give up on players you believe in. I am voting for the schlep Tony Latone myself and believe he will make it.
I agree.

Education is the fundamental principle on spreading the word of former players and coaches. I had no idea who any of these guys were either. But once you read and do some searching, it makes all the difference in the world. So, please continue to post, write biographies, articles, etc. about former players, guys who everyone should get to know and believe in. Any sort of "advertising" helps. ;)
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Thanks @Brian wolf and @sluggermatt15. Will do. I missed nominations this year, but I'm working on an article about the 1890s, so I'll have an interesting nomination list next year.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

How is Buddy Young not in the HOVG or did I miss something ?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

My bad, I just saw him from last year ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I also thought John David Crow was in this HOVG.
Will nominate him next year ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

A trivial question but I am curious ...
Selecting 10 finalists out of 20 is alot but is it better for voting purposes to select our 10 in order of preference/most deserving or does it not really matter ?
JeffreyMiller

Post by JeffreyMiller »

Every year someone has a complaint about the process, or someone's favorite hasnt been nominated. Geezer Louise ...
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died a small boy than to fumble this football."
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Brian wolf wrote:A trivial question but I am curious ...
Selecting 10 finalists out of 20 is alot but is it better for voting purposes to select our 10 in order of preference/most deserving or does it not really matter ?
You vote for 10. Any more or less and the ballot is void. Each vote counts as one vote.