Stupid game: 1986 Vikes vs. Redskins

Bryan

Stupid game: 1986 Vikes vs. Redskins

Post by Bryan »

Watched this game on Youtube yesterday. Great game, but something dumb happened.

Skins trail 38-26 with 5 minutes left. Art Monk catches TD pass. Max Zendejas misses the XP. Skins trail 38-32 and get the ball back with 2 minutes left. George Rogers scores a TD with a minute remaining. Max Zendejas misses the XP again. Overtime. Skins score TD, win game 44-38.

Thought it was funny that Zendejas missed two extra points at the end of the game, either of which would have won the game. For the season, Zendejas was 23 of 28 on extra points.
Gary Najman

Re: Stupid game: 1986 Vikes vs. Redskins

Post by Gary Najman »

It's interesting that the Redskins waived veteran Mark Moseley before signing Zendejas, who was a 4th round draft choice of the Cowboys that year. And the next year the Cowboys signed Max's older brother Luis as their placekicker.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Vikings could have been in the playoffs that year but lost winnable games like this one, the Giants, Lions and Bengals, games.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

Typical of the 1980s Packers that they looked at Max Zendejas and said, "Oh, yeah, he's much better than Al Del Greco."
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Citizen wrote:Typical of the 1980s Packers that they looked at Max Zendejas and said, "Oh, yeah, he's much better than Al Del Greco."
I remember that as well. I think they also got rid of Jan Stenerud for Teddy Garcia or something ridiculous. Regardless, Max was the Shemp of the Zendejas Stooges.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Bryan wrote:
Citizen wrote:Typical of the 1980s Packers that they looked at Max Zendejas and said, "Oh, yeah, he's much better than Al Del Greco."
I remember that as well. I think they also got rid of Jan Stenerud for Teddy Garcia or something ridiculous. Regardless, Max was the Shemp of the Zendejas Stooges.
It was Eddie Garcia. Teddy Garcia was another kicker who later played for the Patriots.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Teo wrote:Teddy Garcia was another kicker who later played for the Patriots.
Also was a complete disaster as a K in the WLAF.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Brian wolf wrote:The Vikings could have been in the playoffs that year but lost winnable games like this one, the Giants, Lions and Bengals, games.
That first Burnsie/Sgt Rock Vikings team not bad at all; or at least early on. That 5-2 start coming off a win at SF and then convincingly handing da defending-SB-shufflin'-Champ, Bears, their first defeat since the previous year at Miami/MNF! But then they lose two close ones to both Cleveland and at Washington which, of course, is understandable. But then, as you say, lose down the stretch to teams they had no business losing to while not posting another quality win.

Like Parcells said, you are your record. And this 9-7 team was...a 9-7 team. Had Burns been hired as HC in '84 as he sensibly should have been, this Vikings group likely would have gotten that initial '9-7' non-playoff season out the way in '84 itself and already started that playoff run in '85 instead of '87. That infamous '84 campaign and then, in '85, Grant returning to reset the table...two seasons that didn't have to be wasted.

In the HOF/HOVG section, its been recently suggested that Jerry should be considered for HOVG which I have no objection for consideration. And in addition to that which I've opined here previously, without starting a new thread, I think that Floyd Peters should be considered for HOVG as well! A number of DCs were better than he, but when it comes to strictly getting his DLs to...SACK the QB, I think he just may be Numero Uno! I feel his multiple Pro Bowls as a DL in the '50s & '60s a nice additive for his HOVG cause.

Look no further than Turney's article on him! Everywhere he went, whether as a DL-coach or DC (and without ever having an LT, Dent, Reggie White, etc; mind you), he brought out the "sack-the-QB"-best in his DLs! And he did a fine job grooming up Kiffin & Carroll. Perhaps too good a job grooming for the very year after both left Minny ('90), Vikings suddenly weren't a playoff team anymore as well as the D falling hard from those back-to-back #1 rankings.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

We all know about hindsight but I really believe if the Vikings had committed more to the running game, starting in 85 or even sooner, they may have been a champion. Everything else was in place ... the defense just needed to rest more.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Brian wolf wrote:We all know about hindsight but I really believe if the Vikings had committed more to the running game, starting in 85 or even sooner, they may have been a champion. Everything else was in place ... the defense just needed to rest more.
Yeah, acquiring Herschel so seemed like the 'missing link' at the time, but so much for that. Just like those back-to-back playoff-exit blowouts at San Fran may sadly be the reason Peters never makes the HOVG, Burnsie's under-utilization of Walker, nor better addressing the run-game in-general, may sadly box him out as well. We'll see.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.