Best all-time roster: RBs

racepug

Re: Best all-time roster: RBs

Post by racepug »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I'd go with Bears first without question.
Here's why I say the same: Neal Anderson, Rick Casares, Harry Clarke, Beattie Feathers, Matt Forté, Willie Galimore, Hugh Gallarneau, Harold "Red" Grange, Jack Manders, George McAfee, Bronko Nagurski, Ray Nolting, Bill Osmanski, Gale Sayers, Anthony Thomas, and, of course, the incomparable "Sweetness," Walter Payton (still my favorite RB of all time). FIVE H.o.F.ers in that group. Five! And among the ones who aren't: 6 first team All-Pro nods, 19 Pro Bowl selections, and one guy (Beattie Feathers) who averaged 5.5 yards per carry in his career with "Da Bears." Not bad, if you ask me.
racepug

Post by racepug »

ChrisBabcock wrote:I'd go with Bears first without question. 2nd and 3rd would be a coin flip between Cowboys and Oilers/Titans. (Campbell/George/Henry). 4th and 5th a coin flip between Bills and Rams. (McCutcheon/Dickerson/Faulk/Jackson)
The Rams are an excellent pick. Here's another one that I'm surprised nobody has brought up, yet: the Colts.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Good call on the Rams ... Towler, Younger, Hoerner, Wilson, Arnett, Bass, Josephson, Ellison, McCutcheon, Bertelsen, Tyler, Bryant, Dickerson, Bettis, Faulk, Jackson, Gurley ...
JDOtt

Post by JDOtt »

Adding to the list for the Browns...Kevin Mack, Charles White (Heisman Trophy winner), and more recently...give some love to the BEST backfield in the game currently - Chubb and Hunt!
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

RichardBak wrote:Packers. I'll let someone else provide the list.
Llewllyn, McNally, Hinkle, Canadeo, Hornung, Taylor, Brockington, Green ... maybe Grant.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
JohnH19

Post by JohnH19 »

Vikings:
Tommy Mason
Bill Brown
Dave Osborn (second to Kelly in 1967)
Chuck Foreman
Ted Brown
Darrin Nelson
Herschel Walker
Terry Allen
Robert Smith
Adrian Peterson
Dalvin Cook

The top four are:
Foreman
Smith
Peterson
Cook
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I wasn't gonna weigh in on RB, but since my initials are RB and I need to represent the local boys, here's the case for Detroit.
Guys with asterisks are HOF.

Barry Sanders*
Billy Sims
Dutch Clark*
John Henry Johnson*
Whizzer White
Ace Gutowsky
Bill Dudley*
Doak Walker*
Glenn Presnell
Pat Harder
Hunchy Hoernschemeyer
Mel Farr
Nick Pietrosante
Steve Owens
Dexter Buseey
Reggie Bush
James Stewart

Throw in Hugh McElhenny* (who played briefly w/ Detroit) and Adrian Peterson, who's winding down his own HOF career w/ the Lions, and you have a pretty good roster of RBs from one franchise.

If nothing else, what other franchise can boast an all-time stable of backs named Dutch, Ace, Whizzer, Hunchy, and Bullet Bill?
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

RichardBak wrote: If nothing else, what other franchise can boast an all-time stable of backs named Dutch, Ace, Whizzer, Hunchy, and Bullet Bill?
The Globe Trotters??

Thanks for doing the Lions! The deserve an honorable mention (at least).
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

JohnH19 wrote:Vikings:
Tommy Mason
Bill Brown
Dave Osborn (second to Kelly in 1967)
Chuck Foreman
Ted Brown
Darrin Nelson
Herschel Walker
Terry Allen
Robert Smith
Adrian Peterson
Dalvin Cook

The top four are:
Foreman
Smith
Peterson
Cook
Hugh McElhenny had one good year for the Vikings in 1961, their inaugural season.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

racepug wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:I'd go with Bears first without question.
Here's why I say the same: Neal Anderson, Rick Casares, Harry Clarke, Beattie Feathers, Matt Forté, Willie Galimore, Hugh Gallarneau, Harold "Red" Grange, Jack Manders, George McAfee, Bronko Nagurski, Ray Nolting, Bill Osmanski, Gale Sayers, Anthony Thomas, and, of course, the incomparable "Sweetness," Walter Payton (still my favorite RB of all time). FIVE H.o.F.ers in that group. Five! And among the ones who aren't: 6 first team All-Pro nods, 19 Pro Bowl selections, and one guy (Beattie Feathers) who averaged 5.5 yards per carry in his career with "Da Bears." Not bad, if you ask me.
Browns were so awesome, they had two RBs get 1000+ yards in one season, and neither guy has even been mentioned yet!

But the Bears lineup is strong, too. Perhaps a head-to-head comparison is necessary.