Chicago Bears Quarterbacks

Brian wolf

Re: Chicago Bears Quarterbacks

Post by Brian wolf »

At least Eric Kramer took the Lions to an NFC Championship game but I would still take McMahon's NFC and SB wins against the Rams and Patriots over anything Stafford has ever done. If Charles Martin for GB doesnt throw Jimmy Mac down on his shoulder like a rag doll, do the Bears win another championship ?
racepug

Post by racepug »

JohnH19 wrote:The Bears QB history since Luckman retired is the worst in the NFC North and probably in the whole league.
It's pretty bad - there's no question about that. But I do lots of research (though probably not as much as many of YOU do - ;) ) on teams in order to keep up on all the franchises' players from all time (in order to keep the rosters "fresh" and "up-to-date" for a Greatest Players of All Time season that I run using an old - but very good! - football simulation) and I can think of one team whose overall QB history is even more dismal, in my opinion, than that of the Bears, Lions, or Browns. Any guesses?
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Has to be the Texans ... Even Denver had better QBs
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Nope ... Steelers
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The Browns QBs have only been bad since 1993
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Yeah, Browns have had pretty good quarterbacks -- first two that popped in my mind were Frank Ryan and Brian Sipe....then there was Kosar as well....

I agree with whoever said they may have given up on Trubisky too early....

And thanks to the person who mentioned Wade Wilson -- underrated quarterback....

Maybe I didn't remember Vince Evans as well as some other people did....I remember he almost beat the Cowboys in Dallas and only a classic Staubach rally won it for them. And the time he beat the Packers 61-7...those are my main memories of him...
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
racepug

Post by racepug »

JohnH19 wrote:It's Stafford who gives the Lions sorry bunch the edge on the Bears.
From what I've been able to tell Matthew Stafford has been a good, solid N.F.L. quarterback, but I would hardly consider him to be a "star." He's decent - he's probably one of the best QBs that the Lions have ever had outside of Bobby Layne - not that that's saying much.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

racepug wrote:
JohnH19 wrote:It's Stafford who gives the Lions sorry bunch the edge on the Bears.
From what I've been able to tell Matthew Stafford has been a good, solid N.F.L. quarterback, but I would hardly consider him to be a "star." He's decent - he's probably one of the best QBs that the Lions have ever had outside of Bobby Layne - not that that's saying much.
While he probably didn't have his best years with the Lions, Tobin Rote did lead them to a Championship... (and he won one in the AFL with the Chargers, too).
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... teTo00.htm
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

JuggernautJ wrote:
racepug wrote:
While he probably didn't have his best years with the Lions, Tobin Rote did lead them to a Championship... (and he won one in the AFL with the Chargers, too).
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... teTo00.htm
He did lead the Lions to the 57 Championship. He started the playoff vs SF and the championship game after Bobby Layne was injured late in the season. He's a bit like Jeff Hostetler in that regard.

If I remember right, he's the only QB to win both the NFL and AFL championship.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

JohnH19 wrote: After Tarkenton the Vikings have received solid to excellent quarterbacking from Tommy Kramer, Wade Wilson, Rich Gannon, Moon, Brad Johnson, Cunningham, Jeff George, Culpepper, Favre and Cousins. Even Case Keenum gave them an excellent season.
=Here's a chart showing the success of first-year starting quarterbacks in Minnesota. The red bars show quarterbacks who were 35 or older when they first started for Minnesota.*

*Brad Johnson returned to the Vikings after playing for them earlier in his career.

(During a 15-year span, five of the nine new starting quarterbacks for the Vikings were age 35 or older, with decent success.)
Picture2.png
Picture2.png (49.91 KiB) Viewed 16599 times
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium