Re: Predictions for "Team of the Decade"

Post by JuggernautJ »

Terry Baldshaw wrote:The Browns.
:lol: :) ;)
Hope springs eternal...
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

74_75_78_79_ wrote:I remember the Herschel trade and knowing what a coach like Jimmy would do with that talent. When Dallas-fan peers were saying "Dallas, Team of the '90s", despite the 1-15 they were going through, I actually believed. Couldn't necessarily "enjoy" Jerry getting "punished" by Karma for firing Landry. And when Jimmy with such convincing confidence and swagger after the Turkey Day "Bounty Bowl" said at the post-game presser, (maybe paraphrasing) "Our Day will come", I believed it!

Both having actually HC-ed against each other in '69, I believe Vince Lombardi pretty much predicted that Noll's Steelers had quite a future. I think he said "Team of the '70s", but not sure.

"Team of the '80s" by the time SBXIV was in the books? If my Street & Smith '80 preview is any proper indication, I would imagine most of the 'experts' assumed the Steelers would keep on keeping on due to Noll never getting complacent/satisfied. Noll never would, but his players would still get older and new additions at least relatively less-talented than the prior decade and it, sadly, all caught up.
I think that Noll knew after SB 14 that it was over. On the Football Life show that they did about him, I think his son said that he told his mom that. They did have a chance to save the dynasty because of the 82 strike, but I think the loss to the Chargers in the first round was the dagger for the 70's Steelers.

As for the 90's Cowboys, I wasn't a believer until late in the 91 season when they beat Philly late in the year to go to the playoffs. Then, after they lost to the Lions in the playoffs, I said that this was the next NFC representative in the Super Bowl.
racepug

Post by racepug »

The New York Jets!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

That win by Dallas against Philly that enabled the Cowboys to make the playoffs in 91 over the Eagles, was the turning point in the Johnson era, I believe. They were the bully on the block and when the Cowboys beat them again in the 92/93 playoffs, they knew they could win it all. I also believe they were overconfident against Detroit in the 91/92 playoffs and got beat thinking they would meet Washington in the championship game. Some people dont believe Troy Aikman was worthy of the HOF, which is a head-scratcher but one thing is for sure, his 1992 season from start to SB MVP, was one of the best ever, for a QB ...
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

racepug wrote:The New York Jets!
The Jaguars, with Trevor Lawrence.
racepug

Post by racepug »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:
racepug wrote:The New York Jets!
The Jaguars, with Trevor Lawrence.
The AZ Cardinals (I mean, that streak of mediocrity of theirs can't last forever, can it?)!
Jamie Johnson

Post by Jamie Johnson »

It will probably be a team nobody is currently considering, like Denver.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Jamie Johnson wrote:It will probably be a team nobody is currently considering, like Denver.
They get the right QB (maybe on Thursday), & it could be.

That's what I was thinking in 2008, when Denver had Cutler, Marshall, Eddie Royal, Tony Scheffler, and a good offensive line led by Ryan Clady. I felt that they could be a force in the 2010's if they improved the defense. However, McDaniels came in and killed that for a few years (those feelings were revived with Peyton's arrival in 2012. They did go to two SB's in the decade, but no success after Manning retired because they didn't find a suitable replacement).
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

Bills might have a shot...they're a good young team....same with KC....Ravens maybe....for the wildest guess, I'll pick the Seahawks...or maybe the Cowboys with Dak Prescott.
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael