Post by sheajets »

While he never had monster season, Marion Barber deserves mention

Mike Alstott too. Looked like a freight train on the field
rhickok1109

Re: Most "badass" RBs of all time

Post by rhickok1109 »

JohnR wrote:
racepug wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Though Brown was a better runner than Gilchrist, I rate Cookie over him because he could wipe out people when blocking. Brown was one of the worst blockers I ever saw on films, for his size.
Yeah, I've often read that Jim Brown wasn't much for pass catching or for blocking. But I guess given his talent for running the ball he didn't need to be.
Was it a lack of talent or a lack of desire? Some of his blocks looked half-assed.
I'd say it was sheer lack of desire. He was the same as a lacrosse player. He hogged the ball and there was some sense in that because he was such an offensive force. But he didn't get many assists because he didn't like to pass the ball even if he had an attack man wide open near the net.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Another bad-ass back was Warrick Dunn. Without a doubt the smallest runner with over 15,000 yards from scrimmage and ran between the tackles. Has a HOF case ...
racepug

Post by racepug »

rhickok1109 wrote:I'd say it was sheer lack of desire. He was the same as a lacrosse player. He hogged the ball and there was some sense in that because he was such an offensive force. But he didn't get many assists because he didn't like to pass the ball even if he had an attack man wide open near the net.
You deserve some kind of award for knowing anything about Jim Brown as a lacrosse player! :)
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

racepug wrote:You deserve some kind of award for knowing anything about Jim Brown as a lacrosse player! :)
Go ahead and tell him, Ralph....
it's a great story... every "new guy" (to our forum) should hear it!
Saban1

Post by Saban1 »

Rick Casares
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

racepug wrote:
rhickok1109 wrote:I'd say it was sheer lack of desire. He was the same as a lacrosse player. He hogged the ball and there was some sense in that because he was such an offensive force. But he didn't get many assists because he didn't like to pass the ball even if he had an attack man wide open near the net.
You deserve some kind of award for knowing anything about Jim Brown as a lacrosse player! :)
I played against him in 1956.
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

rhickok1109 wrote:
racepug wrote:
Great knowledge drop over Jim Brown's lacrosse career - especially from an up-close "something you can tell your grandkids" perspective in that you played against him!! I did know that he was actually a better lacrosse player than he was a football player (just like Stu Ungar was actually better at Rummy than he was the very thing he was known most for...Poker), but didn't know the details. Jim Brown's blocking and pass-catching, and Shaquille O'Neal's foul-shooting and perimeter game...still both "bad-asses" but simply focused on their strengths, fulfilling their "main"-purposes thus still being considered the "best-ever" RB and "best-ever" in-the-paint NBA big-man respectively.
racepug

Post by racepug »

rhickok1109 wrote:
racepug wrote:
Wow - that's amazing! Did J.B. already have a reputation back then or when you played against him was he "just another opponent" as far as you were concerned?
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

racepug wrote:You deserve some kind of award for knowing anything about Jim Brown as a lacrosse player! :)
I played against him in 1956.[/quote]Wow - that's amazing! Did J.B. already have a reputation back then or when you played against him was he "just another opponent" as far as you were concerned?[/quote]
Lacrosse was a very low-key sport at Harvard and we knew next to nothing about any of our opponents before we played them. We knew Syracuse had a pretty good team (and we had a very bad team) but we didn't know that Brown played for them. We were certainly aware that he was a terrific football player. Because I'd seen him play basketball, I recognized him on the lacrosse field and told my linemates who he was and word spread quickly through the rest of the team.