49ers LBs

racepug

49ers LBs

Post by racepug »

This is a two-part post. 1) What is up with the 49ers and linebackers, lately? Up 'til a few years ago I would've considered them to have had only two real standouts (Dave Wilcox and Charles Haley) in their entire history. Over the last 10 - 15 years, though, they've had several. What's up with that? 2) How would you compare the strengths and weaknesses between Patrick Willis and NaVarro Bowman? My memory is that each of them was very well thought-of when they were playing.
Brian wolf

Re: 49ers LBs

Post by Brian wolf »

Matt Hazeltine might have been the first good, though not great linebacker for the 49ers ...

We know Willis will get into the HOF but Bowman may not, who knows how long ? Both had short careers but will injury be held against Bowman ?

Other good linebackers for the 49ers were Turner and Reynolds from the eighties, though Harper played well in spurts from the 70s. Walter, Romanowski, Woodall and Norton from the 90s. Though a pass rusher like Haley, Aldon Smith could have been major, if kept his head screwed on right.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Let's not forget Hardy Brown. Not great, perhaps, but certainly famous--or infamous.

Marv Matuszak was pretty good as one of the first MLBs but he was only with the 49ers for a year or two.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Bunz had a short career but his role in the 49ers goalline stand in the 81/82 SB was memorable ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

That 81 Super Bowl was great for forgotten or role players like Bunz, Leopold, Harper, Pillars, Hofer, Audick, Reese, Davis, Elliot, Shumann, Ring and Young. Charle Young could have been a HOVG/HOF player, had he never went to the Rams, who basically wasted his receiving talent ...
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

Frank Nunley and Skip Vanderbundt were good linebackers on Dick Nolan's Western Division champions 1970-1972 and deserve recognition.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

The much traveled Dave Washington was a Pro Bowl LB in 1976.

I believe that Keena Turner was very underrated. He would have had more Pro Bowls in the AFC if he wasn´t competing for spots against Lawrence Taylor and Rickey Jackson.

Jack Reynolds was very productive for the 49ers in the 4 years he was there.
racepug

Post by racepug »

rhickok1109 wrote:Let's not forget Hardy Brown. Not great, perhaps, but certainly famous--or infamous.
Heh. I remember watching a "Hardest hitters of all time" show from NFL Network a few years ago that featured Hardy Brown as an "Honorable Mention." I think there was a story about an opposing QB (I wanna say "Bob Waterfield") crossing the street and being hit by a streetcar (I think) and upon recovering his senses, saying: "I didn't know Hardy Brown was in town!" (or words to that effect)
rhickok1109 wrote:Marv Matuszak was pretty good as one of the first MLBs but he was only with the 49ers for a year or two.
It would appear that he was pretty good (he was before my time) but you're correct - he was with the 49ers for less than 2 full seasons.
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Bunz had a short career but his role in the 49ers goalline stand in the 81/82 SB was memorable ...
Yes, indeedy! I remember that play as if it happened yesterday.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Had Reynolds been better in pass coverage, he would be in the HOF but Singletary wasnt great either but makes it ?
Reynolds lived for short yardage defense ...