49ers LBs

Brian wolf

Re: 49ers LBs

Post by Brian wolf »

I know I have vented about RB Paul Hofer on another post before and he isnt a LB but what Bill Walsh did to him in 1981 was terrible. This guy was a fan favorite who could run and catch and recovered from a horrible knee injury against Dallas in 1980. He contributed to that magical 81 season and should have spotlighted his skills against Dallas and Cincinatti in the postseason but what happens instead ?

In a meaningless game with the division already sown up for the Niners, Bill "The Genius" Walsh decides to play him against the Oilers on a slick, rain-soaked field in Candlestick where Hofer injures his knee again, this time for good ...

Walsh was apologizing and despondent in his book from 1990 ... Building A Champion
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Brian wolf wrote:I know I have vented about RB Paul Hofer on another post before and he isnt a LB but what Bill Walsh did to him in 1981 was terrible. This guy was a fan favorite who could run and catch and recovered from a horrible knee injury against Dallas in 1980. He contributed to that magical 81 season and should have spotlighted his skills against Dallas and Cincinatti in the postseason but what happens instead ?

In a meaningless game with the division already sown up for the Niners, Bill "The Genius" Walsh decides to play him against the Oilers on a slick, rain-soaked field in Candlestick where Hofer injures his knee again, this time for good ...

Walsh was apologizing and despondent in his book from 1990 ... Building A Champion
Somewhat similar was Vince Lombardi and Jim Grabowski. Maybe Grabowski wasn't the best RB in NFL history, but he was a high draft pick who led the Packers in rushing despite injuring his knee midway through the 1967 season. Lombardi decided to bring Grabowksi back for...the Ice Bowl. Grabowski blew out his knee warming up on the bad field. There is a clip of Grabowski writhing in pain in the Packers' army 'igloo' at the start of the NFL Films Greatest Games piece on the Ice Bowl. The irony is that the clip is shown while there is an explanation of why the Packers had to bring in Ben Wilson and Chuck Mercein, yet the clip occurred after those guys were on the team.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks Bryan, I didnt know that about Grabowski. Lombardi also whined about Jim Taylor, who dared to want some of the money given to Grabowski and Anderson.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Brian wolf wrote:I know I have vented about RB Paul Hofer on another post before and he isnt a LB but what Bill Walsh did to him in 1981 was terrible. This guy was a fan favorite who could run and catch and recovered from a horrible knee injury against Dallas in 1980. He contributed to that magical 81 season and should have spotlighted his skills against Dallas and Cincinatti in the postseason but what happens instead ?

I remember Hofer and I have also wondered: why Lenvil Elliott didn´t play in Super Bowl XVI? He was a very important part in the 49ers drive leading to The Catch.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

According to Walsh's book, he felt bad about letting Elliot play over Patton in the NFC Championship game, so he switched for the Super Bowl
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bryan wrote:Somewhat similar was Vince Lombardi and Jim Grabowski. Maybe Grabowski wasn't the best RB in NFL history, but he was a high draft pick who led the Packers in rushing despite injuring his knee midway through the 1967 season. Lombardi decided to bring Grabowksi back for...the Ice Bowl. Grabowski blew out his knee warming up on the bad field. There is a clip of Grabowski writhing in pain in the Packers' army 'igloo' at the start of the NFL Films Greatest Games piece on the Ice Bowl. The irony is that the clip is shown while there is an explanation of why the Packers had to bring in Ben Wilson and Chuck Mercein, yet the clip occurred after those guys were on the team.
Also read that Grabowski did not rehab his knee properly. In 1967 he'd been kept active after his initial injury and played a bit three weeks later against the Bears. He was only inactivated for the SB, in favor of TE Allen Brown I believe.

Mercein was a fullback, and essentially did replace Grabowski, though he took Elijah Pitt's place on the roster. Ben Wilson was acquired as insurance after Taylor left. Packers started out with Grabowski and Pitts, with Wilson and Anderson backups. Then Grabowski and Pitts got hurt, Wilson and Anderson started with Mercein and Travis Williams as backups. Williams showed well as a backup, and on kickoff returns, so was given more playing time, and showed well against the Rams in the playoffs. Plus at that time no one wanted to kick deep on the Packers, so they'd at least get the ball at the 30-35 yard line or so. Mercein got more playing time as Wilson got banged up late in the season, then got most of the playing time against the Rams and Cowboys in the playoffs, making some key plays. In the SB, Lombardi thought Wilson would do better on the faster track, so Mercein barely played. 1967 Packers were exceptional in having six different starters and getting a lot of production. 1981 49ers had a committee approach, but more just enough to get by rather than being above average.

I don't know whether to blame Lombardi for Grabowski, as Grabowski likely wanted to play. He'd rushed for over 1,000 yards one season at Illinois, so I think he was the real deal, just got hurt. I've seen him listed as a terrible draft pick, that wasn't true.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Other than Hofer late in the year, Walsh utilized his backs better in 1981 than any season, other than 1984 ...