strange Super Bowl stadium selections

vikingsfan1963

strange Super Bowl stadium selections

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

1. Rice Stadium (was there something behind not playin at the Astrodome)
2. Tulane Stadium (I know this one cause the Superdome wasn't ready)
3. The Big Sombrero in Tampa.
4. Detroit for the 49ers-Bengals
5. Jacksonville
ChrisBabcock

Re: strange Super Bowl stadium selections

Post by ChrisBabcock »

MetLife Stadium. Please let's not do a cold weather outdoor Super Bowl again. Yeah, yeah I know... those are the elements in which the game "should" be played. But the league could have a logistical challenge if a winter storm hits.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Just like the Olympics, the NFL should ask for bids and proposals and award the Super Bowl, Draft event, and Pro Bowl to a single location for a period of three to five years. I think that would have the greatest economic benefit both for the NFL and for the community where the Super Bowl is held.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

vikingsfan1963 wrote:1. Rice Stadium (was there something behind not playin at the Astrodome)
I believe at the time Rice Stadium had the bigger capacity.
SixtiesFan

Post by SixtiesFan »

I read at the time Super Bowl XVI was being played at the Pontiac Silverdome, with Super Bowl week in the Detroit area, at the insistence of the Big Auto people. They told the NFL higher-ups they had been the major advertisers for NFL TV broadcasts from the start and should get a Super Bowl to help Detroit.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Stanford Stadium was unique as well and obviously, home field advantage for the 84/85 49ers against Miami. A great win for Bill Walsh ...
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Brian wolf wrote:Stanford Stadium was unique as well and obviously, home field advantage for the 84/85 49ers against Miami. A great win for Bill Walsh ...
IIRC, Stanford Stadium (at the time) didn't had artificial lights, and they put some in the four corners of the stadium which they are among the worst lighting in any NFL game in history. Also, it resembled a bit smaller Rose Bowl.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Teo wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:Stanford Stadium was unique as well and obviously, home field advantage for the 84/85 49ers against Miami. A great win for Bill Walsh ...
IIRC, Stanford Stadium (at the time) didn't had artificial lights, and they put some in the four corners of the stadium which they are among the worst lighting in any NFL game in history. Also, it resembled a bit smaller Rose Bowl.
Yeah, I lived in SF at that time and the choice seemed strange to us locals...
Candlestick was the "Home of the Niners" and even though Stanford held more people and (usually) had better weather it just seemed like a big high school field...
It gave that Super Bowl an "amateurish" feel (imo).
racepug

Post by racepug »

ChrisBabcock wrote:MetLife Stadium. Please let's not do a cold weather outdoor Super Bowl again. Yeah, yeah I know... those are the elements in which the game "should" be played. But the league could have a logistical challenge if a winter storm hits.
Personally, I absolutely LOVED the S.B. that was played there. The weather was PERFECT for the game but as I recall it snowed in N.Y. the very next day.
Jamie Johnson

Post by Jamie Johnson »

Jack Murphy Stadium seemed out of place to me for some reason. I'm surprised the Astrodome and the Kingdome, before it started to fall apart, never hosted a Super Bowl.