If you could enshrine one player into the Hall of Fame...

sluggermatt15

Re: If you could enshrine one player into the Hall of Fame..

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Some really good players and reasons on here so far. I'll add a new one or two to the list.

Offense - Walt Sweeney. Nine consecutive all-star/pro bowls and six all-pro teams during his career. He won a title and was one of the best guards during the 60s and early 70s. Opposing defensive linemen hated to play against him. Chargers offenses were among the best in team history during his career.

Defense - Ken Riley. Fifth most all-time in career interceptions, the four guys in front of him (Emlen Tunnell, Richard Lane, Paul Krause, Rod Woodson) are PFHOFers. Three time all-pro. One of the game's great students, he kept a detailed notebook on all the receivers he matched up against and used the details to "coach" his defensive teammates. Really a humble guy, extremely talented. Too bad he hasn't had the call.
TanksAndSpartans

Post by TanksAndSpartans »

Lots of good choices so far, really tough to pick just one, so I will steal @sluggermatt's idea to sneak in a second choice. Ted Nesser came to mind first, already in the HOVG, would be an easy one. Then Bob Shiring came to mind, maybe because I just saw him mentioned in CC last night (looking forward to PFRA conference presentation and new book), so maybe I will change my mind after those... But for now, I would say:

Lineman - Herman Kerchoff (dominant player who starred in multiple regions and even got to run with the ball a bit and did well at it)

Back - John Gammons (breakaway back, the Norb Sacksteder of his day)
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Aside from my bias Philadelphia selections of Retzlaff and Klecko, LC Greenwood is perhaps the grossest omission by the Pro Football Hall of Fame, IMO. NFL 1970s All-Decade, 6 Pro-Bowls, 2 All-Pro and a key contributor to four Super Bowl wins. Larry Grantham would also be near my top for disgraceful omissions. 5 Pro-Bowls, 5 All-Pro and contributor to the Jets world title.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

I second the Lionel Taylor domination. Sure, his productive years were a little on the short side, but he was so prolific when Denver had so few weapons. Viewing him on film, notably graceful.
Great hands.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

JohnR wrote:I second the Lionel Taylor domination. Sure, his productive years were a little on the short side, but he was so prolific when Denver had so few weapons. Viewing him on film, notably graceful.
Great hands.
Can't get behind Lionel Taylor. His 45 TDs would be fewer than any other end in the HOF, and that's coming from a prolific scoring league. Art Powell had 81 TDs, and he deserves attention far before Lionel Taylor IMO.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Jay Z wrote:
JohnR wrote:I second the Lionel Taylor domination. Sure, his productive years were a little on the short side, but he was so prolific when Denver had so few weapons. Viewing him on film, notably graceful.
Great hands.
Can't get behind Lionel Taylor. His 45 TDs would be fewer than any other end in the HOF, and that's coming from a prolific scoring league. Art Powell had 81 TDs, and he deserves attention far before Lionel Taylor IMO.
Yeah but you're not the one enshrining him, I am. So in spite of your solid argument...he's in. I just spoke to Dave Baker and directed him to make the phone call.

Besides, did you know Lionel was the only player to be completely blind? He tracked passes with echo-location, like a bat. Every one of his career receptions was a miracle of nature.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I didnt know that about Taylor. I know Thompson at QB and Walker at WR played with one eye.

I think Speedie with 33 TDs, has the fewest since the single wing era but not sure about his Canadian totals ...
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Brian wolf wrote:I didnt know that about Taylor. I know Thompson at QB and Walker at WR played with one eye.

I think Speedie with 33 TDs, has the fewest since the single wing era but not sure about his Canadian totals ...
In all seriousness, you have to hand it to guys like Fred Arbanas who could snag passes better than many with perfect eyesight. Has to be a challenge when your depth perception
is compromised. Back to the HOF. How about Clem Daniels?
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

Randy Gradishar tops my list. Here's a memorable quote from Seahawks head coach Chuck Knox prior to the 1983 AFC Wild Card Game:

"Gradishar will be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame someday."

Cliff Branch is another overlooked candidate IMO. I'm an AFL guy and would Iove to see Lionel Taylor, Tom Sestak, Art Powell and Clem Daniels get serious consideration. Somebody mentioned Larry Grantham. I would put him at the top of my ex-AFL list.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

As controversial as this might be... Jim Tyrer. If you knew nothing about the end of his life and merely looked at his career, it would be almost incomprehensible that he's not enshrined.