If you could enshrine one player into the Hall of Fame...

Brian wolf

Re: If you could enshrine one player into the Hall of Fame..

Post by Brian wolf »

Chuck Howley ... without a doubt
Elkman8102

Post by Elkman8102 »

Randy Gradishar for me.
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

Lavvie Dilweg.
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Ronfitch wrote:Lavvie Dilweg.
I second the motion.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Elkman8102 wrote:Randy Gradishar for me.
Exactly. He should have been elected when Clinton was president.
MarbleEye

Post by MarbleEye »

Tobin Rote. Won a Title in both the NFL and AFL. Was a passing champion in each league. Had some "black ink" (league leading) statistical passing categories for the Packers in the 1950s. Was once technically all-time NFL leading QB TD scorer ( recognizing here that Otto Graham scored more lifetime TD's in AAFC and NFL combined together). I believe he was the alltime NFL-AFL QB rusher before the modern era QB's made running a general practice. No one will probably count this, but in 3 years in the CFL won a Division Title and had what was the all time CFL passing season, up to that point, in 1960.)

I always wondered if the Packers hadn't traded him before Lombardi arrived how he may have figured in the GB QB competitions under Lombardi.
Sonny9

Post by Sonny9 »

Art Powell 2nd team 1960s AFL All decade. His numbers are just a hair below Maynards and Alworths but he's rarely talked about.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Sonny9 wrote:Art Powell 2nd team 1960s AFL All decade. His numbers are just a hair below Maynards and Alworths but he's rarely talked about.
I did a bio about Powell that's on the site here.

Powell was Terrell Owens before his time. He could have played today. A prima donna WR with superior skills. Scored a lot of TDs.

I think he was better than Maynard and his skills would translate better, for what it's worth. Powell was ideally situated in Oakland and grew discontented and forced his way out anyway. So he missed SB II, though he hurt his knee warming up with Buffalo, so that might have happened either way. Powell was not a practice guy, wouldn't have done the rehab if that was something that would have extended his career. I guess we don't know if he could have come back at some level. But he was pretty much done after the knee, and given the Super Bowl and expansion in pro football interest that he missed out on, the injury was poorly timed for his reputation.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Harold Jackson. During the 70s, no one had more receptions, receiving yards or receiving touchdowns than Jackson (and he did it with three teams and no HOF quarterbacks). At the time of his retirement only Don Maynard had more receiving yards.
Last edited by Gary Najman on Thu Feb 11, 2021 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Jay Z wrote:I think he was better than Maynard and his skills would translate better, for what it's worth.
Watching Powell on film is like watching Len Ford with those 1950's Browns teams...it's like a present-day player transported back in time. I agree that peak Powell is probably better than peak Maynard, but Maynard was unique in that he was a speed WR who was incredibly productive after he turned 30. Powell's career essentially ended when he turned 30, and Maynard put up his best seasons from age 30-33. They were both unique WRs.