Tom Brady and Jedi Mind Tricks ...

Brian wolf

Tom Brady and Jedi Mind Tricks ...

Post by Brian wolf »

Yes, many people feel Tom Brady is the greatest QB ever.
Along with Otto Graham, he is definitely the winningest, with 16 overall championships including six SB wins, now going for his seventh in ten tries, leading another team besides the Patriots into the Super Bowl.

His skill in winning these big games leading his team are legendary but is he also lucky or simply playing Jedi Mind tricks with his opposition ?

2001/02 AFC Playoff ... Raiders force a Brady fumble to win the game ... but no, the officials give the ball back to the Patriots on the "tuck rule" ... Jedi Mind trick ?
Rule or no rule, its a fumble with luck mixed in.

2004/05 SB and 2015/16 AFC Playoff ... Brady using a Jedi Mind Trick on HC Andy Reid and QBs McNabb for the Eagles and Smith for the Chiefs ?
In both games with the Patriots having 10 and 14 point leads, the opposition has no sense of urgency or time management with less than six minutes remaining and of course, lose the game or concede ?

2006/2007 AFC playoff ... The Chargers knock down Brady's pass on 4th down and win the game but instead, SD DB McCree decides to intercept, then fumble the ball right back to the Patriots, who find a way to win. Bonehead play or Jedi Mind trick ?

2011/12 AFC Championship ... Ravens win the game with WR Lee Evans catching the game winning TD but, he drops it and the Patriots prevail. Luck is with Brady again ...

2014/15 SB ... Lynch for Seattle wins the game, running it in from the one yard line but no, HC Carroll calls for a pass that is too high from QB Wilson, not caught by WR Lockette but intercepted by NE DB Butler who is more aggressive going to the ball than the receiver. Maybe he knew the play all along ? Sounds like bad coaching as much as poor execution.

2016/17 SB ... Atlanta wins the game by running the ball in the fourth quarter and preserving their lead by using the clock but no, they keep calling pass plays, stopping the clock and allowing the Patriot offence to chip at the lead, while OC Shanahan and QB Ryan lose their poise. Taking a huge sack keeps them from possibly kicking the winning FG, while Brady finds a way to win. Shanahan refuses to run the ball in the last ten minutes of the 2019/20 SB, as HC of SF as well ...

2018/19 AFC Championship ... The KC Chiefs intercept Brady and win the game but no, the LB, Dee Ford lines up in the neutral zone with a penalty, giving Brady another chance to win the game ... Another bonehead play or lucky break since the officials had let Ford get away with it, during the second half ?

2020/21 NFC Championship ... With Brady now leading the Bucs, the Packers can go for a TD to try to tie the game with a successful two point conversion but on fourth down with 2:06 on the clock, instead of throwing for a TD, they decide to KICK THE FG ... Brady runs out the clock to victory.

Can Brady win the SB for the TB team with skill, luck or playing another Jedi Mind trick on HC Reid and the Chiefs ?

Maybe QB Mahomes can defend his teams championship.
Last edited by Brian wolf on Fri Sep 02, 2022 11:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichardBak

Re: Tom Brady and Jedi Mind Tricks ...

Post by RichardBak »

Looking at it from a purely scientific angle, I think it's the beer and Wheaties he has every morning.
Citizen

Post by Citizen »

I know you're half-joking, but Brady has benefited phenomenally by miscues by opposing players and coaches in big games, always at the exact worst time. That good fortune, we'll call it, keeps him out of the upper echelon for me. It's one thing to lead your team down the field to the winning score, as he has done a few times. It's another to have the game handed to you by a rattled opponent.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Mistakes and bad coaching decisions and blown calls are part of every game, no matter what the sport. I think that over the long haul, especially in such a long career as Brady's, things kind of average out. Certainly he's had some go against him. After all, he's lost a few conference title games and 3 SB, and someone could glom onto one or two key moments that didn't go his way and helped lead to defeat.

I really don't care if Brady wins his 7th SB or loses his 4th. Just hoping for a fun, competitive game to watch by the fire while enjoying my kielbasa and potato-cheese pierogis.
GameBeforeTheMoney

Post by GameBeforeTheMoney »

I thought the biggest play in the Super Bowl vs Atlanta was when Brady ran for the first down when they were behind by quite a bit....I think they ended up getting a field goal on that drive....I told the person next to me -- "He just told his team that he thinks they can still win...they're going to respond to that..." If I remember right, that Matt Ryan fumble was on the Falcons next possession, or at least shortly thereafter....it's really Brady's leadership, getting his teammates to believe they can still win, with a quarterback, that permeates through the entire team....

The Panthers/Patriots Super Bowl was really close, too....
Podcast: https://Podcast.TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Website/Blog: https://TheGameBeforeTheMoney.com

Author's Name: Jackson Michael
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Hmmm...I seem to remember a couple of Super Bowls against the Giants where two phenomenal catches led to Brady/Patriots losses. I guess
the Force wasn't with him on those occasions. Oh, you did forget the SB against Carolina where after the Panthers had tied the game John Kasay
booted the ensuing kickoff out of bounds giving Brady the ball at midfield to set up the GW field goal. Is luck involed? Perhaps, but also one must
also consider Brady's mere presence on the football field creates pressure on the opposition and that leads to mistakes on their part.
If you've ever seen the movie Catch Me If You Can the Leonardo DiCaprio character asks FBI agent Tom Hanks why do the Yankees win all those pennants?
He tells him just the sight of those Pinstripes intimidates the opposition into making mistakes. There is no statistical measure for this of course, but it is a point
to ponder.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Many fans, even the impartial ones, felt the referees helped out the Bucs tonight with the Chiefs getting penalties on critical plays but the Chiefs got away with some last year on the offensive line, so I guess it evens out. Still, you have to wonder why Reid is calling timeouts at the end of the first half that seemed to help out the Bucs, as they scored a TD and went up 21-6 ?

Ironically, in the last two SB wins Brady has played in, his defense gives up a total of 12 points -all on FGs- but the MVP's of both games are Edelman and Brady.

White, David, Barrett, Paul and Suh had excellent games. I would have given the MVP to Barrett though Brady made no mistakes, even recovering an errant shotgun snap.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

I've always thought a sign of true greatness is when someone can lead two different franchises to championships. There haven't been many too guys like that, in any team sport. That Brady could lead the Bucs to a SB win his first year in town is damn impressive. And I've never been a big Brady fan.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Had to visit this post again ...

In last weeks playoff game, Brady and the Bucs were out of sync with their defense playing terrible and going down 27-3 in the second half. The score should have been 34-3 but like I have said before, opposing players and coaches seem to freeze up playing against Tom Brady and make crazy mistakes as RB Akers fumbled at the one yard line before halftime. We all saw the crazy second half as the Rams kept giving the ball back to the Bucs with Brady leading another comeback and tying the game at 27-27. This time the Bucs made a huge mistake and allowed the Rams to kick the FG.

Could the competitor in Tom Brady try to play another Jedi Mind Trick on former teammate Jimmy Garoppolo for the Niners today ?

According to ESPN and everyone else, Tom Brady is set to announce his retirement soon. People have speculated that Brady tried to keep everything quiet not to upstage this weekends conference championship games but someone from his inner circle may have "leaked" the news or speculation.

What if all of this were on purpose ? Especially if Brady was wanting to use talk of retirement to "suggest" or even force a possible trade to another team ? Of course TB would have to give up his rights but maybe Brady wants to QB the Niners ? Especially since Jimmy G could be playing his last game for the 49ers ?

Brady of course may still retire but dont think that if the Rams were to win today, that it wouldnt add fuel to the fire of what happens to Garoppolo. If he were to leave, would the Niners consider Brady ?

Personally, I believe the Niners should keep Jimmy Whiteshoes, regardless what happens today.
He has earned that right and frankly, Shanahan simply doesnt win ballgames without him. If he plays a terrible game today however, maybe Tom Terrific can postpone retirement and play his Jedi Mind Tricks on the NFC West next season ... stay tuned
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Quite a convoluted plot there....