Game books update

Rupert Patrick

Re: Game books update

Post by Rupert Patrick »

cp2k wrote:I am new here, but just wanted to echo others and say thank you for all the great work. Being a Panthers fan I have it better than most in that because the team is so young most of the history is readily available. That having been said however, I did start perusing the Gamebooks in the Members area today and noticed that I have at least one Gamebook that seems to be "Missing" from the 1995 .zip file- their late season game against the Washington Redskins. I'm still comparing what I have to the other seasons. When I was in college I did some freelance sports writing for a local newspaper and started my own collection of "Gamebook" downloads during that time. Years later I filled in the "holes" using the NFL GSIS system and by contacting the Panthers and the opposing teams of games I was "missing". Ironically the Panthers never responded to any of my inquiries, but the Redskins, Falcons, and a few other teams did. I *believe* my set is complete now, but I'm going to compare it to what is in the Members area for completeness, quality, etc.
We do have that one, but I'm not the one who is in charge of uploading the game books to the site, others do that. I just collect them pretty much on a daily basis, even during the regular season. I'll ramp it up during the off-season as a lot of teams are too busy right now with the season at hand.

I've gone thru all of them as best I can to ensure completeness and readability, and if one or the other is lacking, I put some sort of suffix at the end of the game book file name to flag it, and put it on the list to try to get a game book from the other team.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
Ken Pullis wrote:Rupert,

Do you have a time table for when those Rams play-by-plays/gamebooks will be on the website? You have made an incredible contribution to pro football research!
I've processed them and am uploading them to Dropbox as we speak. Once they are all up there I will contact Ken Crippen about having him upload them all.

And no thanks to me, thank the guy who sent them to me. I've spoken to others and we believe there might have been a misunderstanding about the fire and the Rams archives. I will talk to this guy and find out when he got all of these game books, and when the Rams get to their new stadium and get their archives settled, find out what their game book situation is.

The Rams game books also included Pro Bowl game books for 1956-70 except for 1969, so those will also be going up on the site soon.
So, were these files ever downloaded by the person Rupert sent them to via Dropbox?
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

TodMaher wrote:
Rupert Patrick wrote:
Ken Pullis wrote:Rupert,

Do you have a time table for when those Rams play-by-plays/gamebooks will be on the website? You have made an incredible contribution to pro football research!
I've processed them and am uploading them to Dropbox as we speak. Once they are all up there I will contact Ken Crippen about having him upload them all.

And no thanks to me, thank the guy who sent them to me. I've spoken to others and we believe there might have been a misunderstanding about the fire and the Rams archives. I will talk to this guy and find out when he got all of these game books, and when the Rams get to their new stadium and get their archives settled, find out what their game book situation is.

The Rams game books also included Pro Bowl game books for 1956-70 except for 1969, so those will also be going up on the site soon.
So, were these files ever downloaded by the person Rupert sent them to via Dropbox?
Some of them were. However, Rupert and I were having Dropbox issues back in December and I was not able to get all of them from him prior to his passing. His sister stated that she will get me what he had, but it will take some time to go through all of his stuff.
Football Learning Academy: https://www.football-learning-academy.com
An online school teaching football history.

FLA Podcast: https://www.football-learning-academy.com/pages/podcast
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

Update:
We have added some gamebooks to the website:
Craig Rye has updated 1960 and 1961 NFL Championship Game gamebooks
Ken Pullis sent the 1937-95 Rams gamebooks he received from Rupert

In the works: I have gamebooks that Rupert sent me from 1937-1987. I need to sort through them to determine which are updates to existing (better quality) and which are new. That will take some time. There is still continued work to gather everything that Rupert had, but multiple people have stepped forward to help continue Rupert's legacy. Thanks to all involved!!

Oszuscik

Post by Oszuscik »

I thought I'd revive this thread, re-acknowledge all the great work Rupert did, and ask if anyone has had luck in obtaining any gamebooks since his passing?

I've been going back and forth with the Packers for awhile now. Between them and a few individuals who were kind enough to share what they had, I now have every Packers gamebook from 1971-present. I'm working with the Packers now to complete the 60's. They've been very friendly and helpful, so over time I'm hoping to find everything.

I've also reached out to the "Washington Football Team" to try and get better quality gamebooks from a handful of games in the 80's.

Has anyone else made attempts to add to PFRA's gamebook archives?
65 toss power trap

Post by 65 toss power trap »

Not sure if this was covered previously, but the stat sheets that Rupert was able to obtain from the Colts are now available on the Colts website:

https://www.colts.com/team/history/stat-sheets

This helped me to finally fill in my last postmerger blank in my postseason officiating database
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

65 toss power trap wrote:Not sure if this was covered previously, but the stat sheets that Rupert was able to obtain from the Colts are now available on the Colts website:

https://www.colts.com/team/history/stat-sheets

This helped me to finally fill in my last postmerger blank in my postseason officiating database
Hopefully they will fix the 1972 file - which is a copy of 1993 file.
Ken Crippen
Site Moderator

Post by Ken Crippen »

The following gamebooks have been added: 1960-69 AFL Championship Games (Thanks, Craig Rye!!)

Gamebooks from the Rupert Patrick Collection: 1933-34, 1937-42, 1944-45

It will take a while to go through everything Rupert sent to me. Thank you for your patience.

CraigRye

Post by CraigRye »

I'm now working on the 1960 to 1969 NFL Championship gamebooks.

In the members area we are missing the 1964, 1965 and 1969 gamebooks. I lucked upon a play by play in the Green Bay Press-Gazette for the 1965 game.

I have been able to put together the first half (minus the last Cleveland possession) of the 1969 game from game film.

So any help with the 1964 game (Baltimore v Cleveland) and the 1969 game (Cleveland v Minnesota) would be much appreciated (Game film or Radio broadcast).

Cheers
Craig
CraigRye

Post by CraigRye »

Thanks to Jay Z the gamebook for the 1964 NFL Championship has now been completed.

Just the 1969 game to complete now.