Best ’90s post-season game? Best ’90s post-season, period?

74_75_78_79_

Best ’90s post-season game? Best ’90s post-season, period?

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Maybe I’m wrong, but without combing through it all, got a feeling ’98 will get some mentions.

EDIT - I was on my 15 min break at work when I made the OP. Just having combed through each post-season, I got four post-seasons in the ’90s having had six 'good games'. Now, very needless to say, this feat still doesn't match 1981 due to - since 1990 - there being a total of 13 playoff games per post-season as opposed to 11 from '78 thru '89. Anyways, the four '90s post-seasons with, what I feel are, six good games are: 1991, 1994, 1998, and 1999.

Now '94 and '98 being included are based on my opinion (maybe some agree, maybe some disagree) that Mia 27 KC 17 (Montana's last game) and Jets 34 Jags 24 were good games. Otherwise, both post-seasons would fall short at 5-apiece along with...93, '96 - yes, I count AFCCG - & '97.

1991...the (quadruple) feather in its cap, is all four 1st Rd games being good ones! The great Hou/Den divisional and that Buf over Denver AFCC affair, 10-7, rounds things out. 1999? As much as I was leaning toward 1998 upon starting this thread, it just may be tops after all. Starting with a 'Miracle', it's six good games are more spread-out, saving the last two for a certain 11-6 final score and then that Classic ("contrast-of-styles") Super Bowl itself! And although CERTAINLY not competitive, we had our own 'modern-day'...'73-0' - a hard one to forget, whether you'd prefer to or not. '99, of course, was also #18's first post-season.

But I still got a personal soft-spot for 1998. Though there may be a handful of previous seasons in the time I've been following that, to me, may be better (especially '80 & '81), IMO there hasn't been one as good as it since! Now, of course, we're talking about strictly post-season, but '98 has that to its credit as well. (Despite my Steelers stumbling from 7-4, just having beat Jacksonville, to 7-9) Simply the sheer anticipation of a possible bat-out-of-hell 15-1 Vikings (Moss) colliding with 14-2 defending-Champs, Broncos, provided such a 'spirit' to that entire post-season.

And even when it was Falcons instead (they were 14-2 too; Reeves-vs-Elway), I actually thought that'd be a great game as well (actually thought it'd go into OT). So SBXXXIV was a dud, but both CCs didn't disappoint (Jets were up 10-0). Of course there's the Young-to-TO game, the forgotten Miami over Buffalo, and the also-forgotten Falcons over SF. Though not competitive, we saw the 'Triplets' in their last playoff game, and being shocked by a team at home who they not only swept (like usual) in '98, but to a team winning their first playoff game since before "Dewey Defeats Truman"!

Best playoff game of the '90s? Well, first, I still haven’t picked my best playoff game of the ’80s yet. '84-over-Den/'89-over-Hou Steeler-bias aside, I guess I’ll pick...`The Catch'! As for ’90s, if I already have ranked SBXXV as #1 in an old 'Rank All SBs' thread I did a while back (perhaps in the old forums, I forget), I would imagine it would apply here as well. But many great, great playoff games in the '90s! Some obvious, some historically 'hidden'.