"Name the Game" trivia

conace21

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by conace21 »

Rupert Patrick wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:
I'm thinking the 1996 Pats-Giants game. Parcels vs. Reeves.

Correct. And as I think about this some more... I can't think of off the top of my head any other Super Bowl coach combo that would have coached against each other in the future both on different teams.

oh wait, probably only Reeves (Falcons) vs. Seifert (Panthers)
How about two coaches meeting in a regular season game, but in the future would meet again in the Super Bowl, but each coaching different teams? I know it happened with George Allen (Rams) against Don Shula (Colts) in 1966-68, then meeting in Super Bowl VII. Not sure if it ever happened again.

1994: Pete Carroll's Jets faced Bill Belichick's Browns.

1988-1989: Mike Shanahan faced Dan Reeves' Broncos three times in his 20 game stint as the Raiders coach.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

In this game, The QB of the losing team threw 2 interceptions to a player with the same last name as him. A member of the PFRA's HOVG scored a TD for the winning team. A member of the PFHOF scored 2 TDs for the losing team.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

^^^ Have I stumped the panel with this one? ^^^
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:In this game, The QB of the losing team threw 2 interceptions to a player with the same last name as him. A member of the PFRA's HOVG scored a TD for the winning team. A member of the PFHOF scored 2 TDs for the losing team.
1973 Broncos vs. 49ers. Charley Johnson throws two picks to Jimmy Johnson, and Floyd Little tallies two TDs.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

1973 Broncos vs. 49ers. Charley Johnson throws two picks to Jimmy Johnson, and Floyd Little tallies two TDs.
Yep. At first I was going to try to come up with a Danny White/Dwight White connection but went this this instead.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Keepin' it going . . .

The winning quarterback in this game was in his second year. Earlier in the season, he had made his first ever career start and had led his team to their first victory of the season.

The losing quarterback had been his team's principal starter for several years, but this was to be his last with the club.

The winning team had a touchdown pass thrown by a wide receiver to a wide receiver.

The losing team had three uninterrupted touchdowns scored by the same player.

A Hall-of_Famer also made an appearance in the box score, tallying a TD for the winning team.
Last edited by Todd Pence on Tue May 22, 2018 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
Yep. At first I was going to try to come up with a Danny White/Dwight White connection but went this this instead.
I didn't know how to attack the question. I was looking for Marc Wilson/Steve Wilson games. Interesting question.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Keepin' it going . . .

The winning quarterback in this game was in his second year. Earlier in the season, he had made his first ever career start and had led his team to their first victory of the season.

The losing quarterback had been his team's principal starter for several years, but this was to be his last with the club.

The winning team had a touchdown pass thrown by a wide receiver to a wide receiver.

The losing team had three uninterrupted touchdowns scored by the same player.

A Hall-of_Famer also made an appearance in the box score, tallying a TD for the winning team.
Wow, that was a tough one. The obvious starting point was looking for WR TD passes, which involved poring over lists at p-f-r! Brian Sipe and Oliver Luck were the WBs. Mike Pruitt had the back to back to back TDs. Earl Campbell scored.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 110oti.htm
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Yes. The upset, just the second win for the Oilers on the year, crippled the Browns (who had been the wildcard frontrunner going into the game) playoff hopes.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The starting QB for the losing team was on the winning team’s roster the previous season.

A player set his team’s single game rushing record in this game.

The losing team had a 9 point lead in this game yet lost by over 3 touchdowns.