"Name the Game" trivia

Bryan

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
The winning team had two quarterbacks who had previously seen Super Bowl action, one of whom would attempt his last career pass in the game.

The losing team would have a quarterback who would throw the first touchdown of his career, and a quarterback who would later see service with the winning team.
I am really stuck on this one. These 2 clues ^^^^^ seem to be the logical starting point. My first thoughts were Neil ODonnell on the Titans with Steve McNair or Chris Chandler on the Rams with Kurt Warner. (but they missed each other by a year) Neither of those work in terms of last career pass. Then I thought of White/Staubach on the 1979 Cowboys. But I don't believe they faced any QBs that year who would later play for Dallas. I'm stuck! :? Not giving up though.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 180sfo.htm

Bryan

Post by Bryan »

This game featured 7 touchdown scoring plays of 40+ yards, and 3 different HOFers kicking extra points.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

*smacks forehead* I had a feeling the SB QB combo would be from the same team. I was stuck on White/Staubach and Kelly/Reich. I didn't think of Weese/Norton.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

This game featured 7 touchdown scoring plays of 40+ yards, and 3 different HOFers kicking extra points.
October 29, 1950 - Rams 65, Lions 24 (with the Rams scoring 41 in the 3rd quarter!)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 290ram.htm
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
October 29, 1950 - Rams 65, Lions 24 (with the Rams scoring 41 in the 3rd quarter!)

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 290ram.htm

Correct!
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Bryan wrote:
ChrisBabcock wrote:
The winning team had two quarterbacks who had previously seen Super Bowl action, one of whom would attempt his last career pass in the game.

The losing team would have a quarterback who would throw the first touchdown of his career, and a quarterback who would later see service with the winning team.
I am really stuck on this one. These 2 clues ^^^^^ seem to be the logical starting point. My first thoughts were Neil ODonnell on the Titans with Steve McNair or Chris Chandler on the Rams with Kurt Warner. (but they missed each other by a year) Neither of those work in terms of last career pass. Then I thought of White/Staubach on the 1979 Cowboys. But I don't believe they faced any QBs that year who would later play for Dallas. I'm stuck! :? Not giving up though.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... 180sfo.htm

That is correct! Good job!

With OJ Simpson on board, those 1979 49ers had a backfield featuring a HOFer and a Hofer.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

A WR would become his team’s all time receiving yardage leader in this game.

A rookie RB scored a 60+ yard TD in this game.

A HOF QB would start the game, but sustain a season ending injury during the game.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:A WR would become his team’s all time receiving yardage leader in this game.

A rookie RB scored a 60+ yard TD in this game.

A HOF QB would start the game, but sustain a season ending injury during the game.
The 1965 game between the Colts and the Bears featured Johnny Unitas suffering a season-ending injury and rookie Gale Sayers scoring a 60-yard TD. However, I don't know if a receiving record was set. It could have been any one of as many as four Colt receivers. Probably Berry.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

The 1965 game between the Colts and the Bears featured Johnny Unitas suffering a season-ending injury and rookie Gale Sayers scoring a 60-yard TD. However, I don't know if a receiving record was set. It could have been any one of as many as four Colt receivers. Probably Berry.
You got it. Johnny Morris became the Bears all time receiving yardage leader in this game. (if my calculations are correct!) Side note about Johnny Morris... his daughter Holly is a host on a travel/adventure show I often watch. Globe Trekker.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

ChrisBabcock wrote:
You got it. Johnny Morris became the Bears all time receiving yardage leader in this game. (if my calculations are correct!) Side note about Johnny Morris... his daughter Holly is a host on a travel/adventure show I often watch. Globe Trekker.
Ah! I just naturally assumed it was a Colt who broke the receiving record.