"Name the Game" trivia

Bryan

Re: "Name the Game" trivia

Post by Bryan »

Todd Pence wrote:October 3, 1976 - Rams 31, Dolphins 28

*ex-Bills QB connects with ex-Lions WR on two long TD passes in a winning effort - James Harris, Ron Jessie
*ex-Colts RB rushes 28 yards for a TD in a losing effort - Stan Winfrey
*ex-Eagles K converts game-winning (for real this time) FG - Tom Dempsey
Correct!

the ex-Colt was Bulaich...Winfrey was the guy who scored his only rushing TD...but I assume it was an editing mistake.

After the "Ratterman" and "Turner" flaps, I'm just glad I was able to ask a question correctly.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Bryan wrote:
Todd Pence wrote:October 3, 1976 - Rams 31, Dolphins 28

*ex-Bills QB connects with ex-Lions WR on two long TD passes in a winning effort - James Harris, Ron Jessie
*ex-Colts RB rushes 28 yards for a TD in a losing effort - Stan Winfrey
*ex-Eagles K converts game-winning (for real this time) FG - Tom Dempsey
Correct!

the ex-Colt was Bulaich...Winfrey was the guy who scored his only rushing TD...but I assume it was an editing mistake.

After the "Ratterman" and "Turner" flaps, I'm just glad I was able to ask a question correctly.
Yes, it was. Somehow a whole line of text got deleted as I typed.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

This next-to-the-last week of the regular season matchup featured teams from opposing conferences.

The quarterbacks were a future hall of famer who would never win a Super Bowl, and a non-HOFer who would be a future Super Bowl winner as a starter.

The winning team had a TD scored by a former Heisman Trophy winner, the final TD of his career.

The losing team had a TD scored by a player who had previously garnered two Super Bowl rings for his stint with another team. Also a pair of touchdowns scored by the same player, a rookie, in one quarter.

The game was won on a last-second field goal.

The result of the game sent both teams into the final week in a must-win situation to make the playoffs, but both of them came through, winning their respective division titles.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Todd Pence wrote:This next-to-the-last week of the regular season matchup featured teams from opposing conferences.

The quarterbacks were a future hall of famer who would never win a Super Bowl, and a non-HOFer who would be a future Super Bowl winner as a starter.

The winning team had a TD scored by a former Heisman Trophy winner, the final TD of his career.

The losing team had a TD scored by a player who had previously garnered two Super Bowl rings for his stint with another team. Also a pair of touchdowns scored by the same player, a rookie, in one quarter.

The game was won on a last-second field goal.

The result of the game sent both teams into the final week in a must-win situation to make the playoffs, but both of them came through, winning their respective division titles.
Sept. 13, 1981--Chargers 24, Buccaneers 23

The QBs were Dan Fouts and Doug Williams.

John Cappelletti scored the final TD of his career.

Theo Bell, who had won 2 Super Bowl rings with the Steelers, scored a TD for Tampa Bay.

Rookie James Wilder scored Tampa's other 2 TDs, both in the 4th quarter.

Rolf Benirschke kicked a last-second FG to win it for San Diego.
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

Correct!
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

This game featured two head coaches who had previously faced each other in the Super Bowl, but in this game they were both coaching different teams. The winning team overcame a 19 point fourth quarter deficit.

I was about to add more info but I’ll leave it at that. :)
Todd Pence

Post by Todd Pence »

I'm thinking the 1996 Pats-Giants game. Parcels vs. Reeves.
ChrisBabcock

Post by ChrisBabcock »

Correct. And as I think about this some more... I can't think of off the top of my head any other Super Bowl coach combo that would have coached against each other in the future both on different teams.

oh wait, probably only Reeves (Falcons) vs. Seifert (Panthers)
conace21

Post by conace21 »

George Seifert (Car) - Bobby Ross (Det) in 1999.

Bill Parcells (NYJ) - Mike Holmgren (Sea) in 1999 season finale and again in 2004 MNF matchup between Dallas and Seattle.
Rupert Patrick

Post by Rupert Patrick »

ChrisBabcock wrote:

Correct. And as I think about this some more... I can't think of off the top of my head any other Super Bowl coach combo that would have coached against each other in the future both on different teams.

oh wait, probably only Reeves (Falcons) vs. Seifert (Panthers)
How about two coaches meeting in a regular season game, but in the future would meet again in the Super Bowl, but each coaching different teams? I know it happened with George Allen (Rams) against Don Shula (Colts) in 1966-68, then meeting in Super Bowl VII. Not sure if it ever happened again.
"Every time you lose, you die a little bit. You die inside. Not all your organs, maybe just your liver." - George Allen