Oorang Indian Photo

oldecapecod11

Oorang Indian Photo

Post by oldecapecod11 »

ARCHIVE

Hopefully, Mike will see this and post that photo again. It was terrific.

Oorang Indian Photo
Started by Moran, May 01 2014 10:47 PM

11 replies to this topic

#1 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member 338 posts
Posted 01 May 2014 - 10:47 PM
Some amazing material becomes available through eBay, especially with the sale of newspaper photo archives - I picked up this picture of the Oorang Indians in a pregame display - wondered if anyone had seen it before or could help provide a location - it's dated Dec 4 1922 on the back - their last game that season was Nov. 30 at Columbus Panhandles - thanks

#2 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors 360 posts
Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:03 AM
Nice picture....but I hate when they disperse newspaper morgues. To me it is similar to when museums are looted in war ravaged lands.

I am not saying you are looting anything, I am talking about the institutions doing this. (not that I know what they should do, donate to a library?) Columbus Panhandles always puzzled me. There is a panhandle in Ohio, but nowhere near Columbus...

#3 Reaser
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 1,729 posts
Posted 02 May 2014 - 01:30 AM
luckyshow, on 02 May 2014 - 01:03 AM, said:
Nice picture....but I hate when they disperse newspaper morgues. To me it is similar to when museums are looted in war ravaged lands.
I am not saying you are looting anything, I am talking about the institutions doing this. (not that I know what they should do, donate to a library?) Columbus Panhandles always puzzled me. There is a panhandle in Ohio, but nowhere near Columbus...
Cool picture.

The Panhandles were named after the panhandle shops along the railroad, with the Columbus shops forming the Panhandle Athletic Club which ultimately became the Columbus Panhandles. At least if my memory of reading Chris Willis' books is holding up.

#4 Rupert Patrick
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 2,441 posts
Posted 02 May 2014 - 05:59 AM
I just can't imagine what the so-called PC Police would do if there was actually a team like this today, stocked with Native Americans and using the name Indians and they come out in war paint and their tribal outfits.

Also, I noticed the newspaper caption referred to them as the "Oo Rang Indians", as opposed to "Oorang Indians". Was this a misprint by the newspaper, or was it an alternate spelling?

#5 cdwillis
Second-Stringer
Board of Directors 98 posts
Interests:Early Pro Football. Anything NFL 1920-1940. Joe F. Carr. Dutch Clark. 1984 49ers. Oorang Indians.
Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:32 AM
Interesting photo. I've been doing some research on the Oorang Indians for a book project and in my research the Indians had a game schedule for Dec. 1st against the Louisville Brecks that was cancelled.
They then traveled north (from Ohio) to play the Durant All-Stars in Michigan (team located near Lansing, MI) on Sunday Dec. 3, 1922. They lost that game 0-29.

They then traveled east to play the Baltimore Pros at Venable Stadium on Sat. Dec. 9, 1922.

Those two games were non-NFL games. The Indians were promoting the dogs so they played a few extra games at the end of the season.

I'm assuming the photo was taken either in Michigan (more likely) or Baltimore.

Hope this helps.

#6 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:57 AM
Thanks for the information, Chris, good leads!

I used to be a photographer and worked for a newspaper and I'm personally in a quandary about what to do with the boxes of negatives and proof sheets I have carried around for many years. I know some archives have been scanned and indexed in a way that makes them broadly accessible but that has to be a small percentage of the material that is out there. In some ways the sale of these archives is crowd sourcing the scanning - you figure the people who buy these are mostly amateur enthusiasts like me and they are tied into circles of like-minded people and we share what we find.

#7 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators 1,144 posts
Posted 02 May 2014 - 11:09 AM
I read a contemporary account of the Kansas City Cowboys 1926 visit to New York to play the Giants, and part of the show was that they dressed in full cowboy regalia (10 gallon hats, boots with spurs, etc.) when touring the city. When the Dallas Cowboys came along in 1960, I think that Tom Landry was the only one who wore a hat, and he made sure it was a fedora-- he left the cowboy hats up to Houston Oilers' coaches. Besides Phillips, did any other NFL coaches dress like Cowboys on the sideline?

#8 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:20 PM
Sometimes PC is just the correct thing to do. These were far far different time. They made potentially more money with the costumes, with the name. How many years are we talking since they were conquered or contained, 50? 70? In the lifetime of these players' parents?

Rather than thinking about PC, I think about other things. But here we think about football and related things....In baseball, I think of Allie Reynolds, a Creek, nicknamed the Big Chief and Superchief. He was All-American in football at Oklahoma A&M.

#9 rhickok1109
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 1,282 posts
Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:28 AM
luckyshow, on 02 May 2014 - 10:20 PM, said:
Sometimes PC is just the correct thing to do. These were far far different time. They made potentially more money with the costumes, with the name. How many years are we talking since they were conquered or contained, 50? 70? In the lifetime of these players' parents?

Rather than thinking about PC, I think about other things. But here we think about football and related things....In baseball, I think of Allie Reynolds, a Creek, nicknamed the Big Chief and Superchief. He was All-American in football at Oklahoma A&M.
Before Reynolds, baseball had Chief Bender, Chief Meyers, and several lesser-known "Chiefs." Of course, they were from much less sensitive eras. Players with swarthy complexions were often nicknamed "Nig," and you can all guess what that was short for (e.g., Nig Clarke and Nig Cuppy).

#10 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member 563 posts Gender:Male
Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:51 PM
Wahoo McDaniel played the "Chief" card for all he could get...

#11 Rupert Patrick
Pro Bowler
PFRA Member 2,441 posts
Posted 04 May 2014 - 10:25 PM
oldecapecod 11, on 04 May 2014 - 9:51 PM, said:
Wahoo McDaniel played the "Chief" card for all he could get...

Especially in his post football career as a Rassler. I saw him wrestle a couple times when I was a kid and at the time was oblivious to the fact that he played pro football.

#12 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:40 AM
Different war bonnets for different opponents?
https://www.google.c...cDaniel;282;431
https://www.google.c...cDaniel;282;431
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister