midseason exhibition games
Started by John Grasso, May 24 2014 08:22 PM

7 replies to this topic

#1 John Grasso
Starter
Board of Directors
350 posts
Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:22 PM
Another thread is talking about exhibition games and I was wondering if NFL teams
ever played any exhibition games during the regular season. I know it was a common
practice in major league baseball. The Yankees played an annual "Mayors Trophy Game"
and there was an annual game in Cooperstown up until a few years ago. I believe
in the first decade of the NBA teams would also occasionally play exhibition games
during the season. But did any NFL teams do so?

Like This
MultiQuote
#2 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
0 warning points
Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:33 PM
Gee! I just saw a copy of a Program cover for December 14, 1930 - New York Giants v. Notre Dame All Stars in a mayor's benefit game to aid the unemployed.
'Course the season might have been over by then?
I would bet Mike Moran has a copy of the program cover and can post it here or send it to you.

#3 oldecapecod 11
Veteran
PFRA Member
563 posts
0 warning points
Posted 24 May 2014 - 08:46 PM
John... the 1930 Giants' season ended the following week, the 21st.

So, the 14th was "during the season" but near the end.

Close... but not what you are seeking, I am sure.

#4 conace21
Pro Bowler
Forum Visitors
1,293 posts
Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:42 PM
I know as late as 1936, teams scheduled in-season exhibitions. The Pittsburgh Pirates scheduled one in Los Angeles during a bye week of November 22, when they only had one game remaining. The reason why that was notable is it may have very well cost Pittsburgh a spot in the title game. Pittsburgh and Boston were both 6-5 heading into their matchup in the season finale; the winner would face Green Bay in the championship game. Boston had spent most of the last two weeks on trains and were apparently quite tuckered out. Boston won 30-0, limiting Pittsburgh to 33 yards and 2 first downs.

#5 luckyshow
Starter
Forum Visitors
360 posts
Posted 25 May 2014 - 12:42 AM
The Brooklyn Dodgers were playing mid-season (AAFC) exhibition games in 1948.
In the following list, exhibition games and "scrimmages" are shown in blue, Would it be allowable these days for an NFL team to scrimmage with a college team?
http://www.luckyshow...l/BkDodgers.htm

The last one I see for the Giants was in 1940, against the Jersey City Giants, though check out the exhibition basketball "game" at halftime of a Knicks game at the Garden in 1946:
http://www.luckyshow...ll/NYGiants.htm

#6 Mark L. Ford
President PFRA
Administrators
1,144 posts
Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:49 AM
The very last time that a midseason exhibition was played was October 22, 1950. The Chicago Bears had a bye-week (there were 13 teams in the NFL that year), so they went over to Richmond, Virginia, to play against their farm team from the minor league American Football League. Final score, Chicago Bears 47, Richmond Rebels 14, in front of 17,000 people

#7 Mark
Starter
PFRA Member
301 posts
Posted 25 May 2014 - 06:40 PM
The website http://www.profootballarchives.com/ includes midseason [and post-season] exhibition games with each teams yearly results.

#8 Moran
Starter
PFRA Member338 posts
Posted 25 May 2014 - 10:00 PM
Here's a program from a mid season exhibition played by the Green Bay Packers in Connecticut in 1943 - sales of the program raised money to buy cigarettes for the troops - they played the Dodgers the week before and the Eagles the week after - and one from the Giants playing an All Star team in 1936 between games with the Pirates and the Redskins
"It was a different game when I played.
When a player made a good play, he didn't jump up and down.
Those kinds of plays were expected."
~ Arnie Weinmeister