Exclusive on Bill Meyers, Steelers' OL coach, '84

74_75_78_79_

Exclusive on Bill Meyers, Steelers' OL coach, '84

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Pretty nice article...

https://steelerstakeaways.com/exclusive ... yers-1984/

The whole article is intriguing and a real fun read! I never knew of Bill Meyers. Mention of both the '84 & '85 Pro Bowls I found interesting. Walsh running up the score (vs Chuck Knox) during the former with Lambert vocally taking issue on their sideline. #58 already suffered a 45-3 defeat two months prior! The curfew story between Meyers and Lambert cracked me up.

And then, the following year, the league not allowing Buddy Ryan to run the '46' in the game ("no blitzing allowed") only for Shell to do a safety blitz on Joe Cool which infuriated both Ditka and his DC. Begs to question when such rules were applied to the Pro Bowl? I figured the game was still allowed to be a 'normal' game in the mid-'80s.

A nice little time-capsule piece! Takes you into the organization at that very moment in time (the last playoff season in the 'Burgh before the half-decade drought ahead).

To those who read this, what are your takes?

PS - I also crack up at the Matt Millen anecdote he tells during the Steelers' division/playoff-clinching finale in LA!

PPS - David Woodley giving Chuck the finger in the huddle????