QB, Chris Miller

74_75_78_79_

QB, Chris Miller

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

What are your takes on him?

Of course not at all a HOVG-er. But better than not-bad! And if not for injuries, very possibly even-better more! Yes, that Glanville-led 1991 situation in Atlanta could possibly be the only anomaly scenario in which Chris (along with...Billy Joe Tolliver) could hold off an obviously "not-ready-just-YET" fratboy-esque rookie, Brett Favre, from a starting spot! But Miller did make the Pro Bowl in that very "Too Legit" 'island' playoff year in which they sweep the Forty Niners en route to beating the Saints on the road Sunday Night, Wk#13, and then eliminate them - again on the road - in the 1st-Rd (getting blasted in DC the following week - and in the rain - no serious felony at all).

I think of '88...Chris leading his 1-7 Falcons to victory over the 4-4 Eagles at the Vet! It'd be the last time the NFC East-champs-to-be would be dropped beneath-500 before rallying the rest of the way into the Chicago "Fog"! And then, seven years later, he now being under center with Rams in their inaugural St. Louis campaign...they start 5-1 and he being apart of it and feeling really good! But reality would rear its ugly head, and even before the notorious Kinchen - and then Eric Davis's - assault of a padded Candlestick goal post weeks later. Concussions would take over and that, simply, would be it for Chris. A FWIW 2-1 record as a starter he had in his 'comeback' with two-time-defending-post-Elway-Champs, Broncos, in '99.

Thoughts?

Chris Miller not bad at ALL, end-of-day!
Jay Z

Re: QB, Chris Miller

Post by Jay Z »

Miller was consistent but never hit on the big season that even Erik Kramer had. Maybe in 1992 if he hadn't gotten hurt. He was better than Tony Banks or Sam Bradford. Not as good as Neil O'Donnell.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Jay Z wrote:Miller was consistent but never hit on the big season that even Erik Kramer had. Maybe in 1992 if he hadn't gotten hurt. He was better than Tony Banks or Sam Bradford. Not as good as Neil O'Donnell.
I don't know. I think he was better than O'Donnell. Neil usually had a defense and running game to support him in Pittsburgh, and he still came up short at times.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

Looking at his career statistically, I seem to remember Miller as being better than his stats. But my biggest memory of Miller is that he was always getting injured.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Kind of a nondescript QB. Nothing about him personality wise or skillset really stood out...however he was a pretty decent QB. No worse than average and when healthy...pretty good. Though he only started as many as 15 games in a season once. He had a window between 1989-1992 when he was very solid, and he certainly wasn't bad in 1994/95 either. Just never the type who could win games on his own. His arm was above average and his mechanics were sound. Didn't have the greatest accuracy

He was also pretty much done at 30. Though it looks like he came back briefly in 1999 for Denver, and then got concussed again.