Mackey

Kelce

Novacek

Gonzalez

Jones
Bryan

Re: Your Top 10 TEs of all-time

Post by Bryan »

Teo wrote:Another TE I would like your opinion is Charle Young. I remember watching him late in his career when he made the Super Bowl with the Rams and then won it with the 49ers two years later, as well as being a part of the Seahawks' first playof team, but I didn't realize back then (I was very young) thet he was one of the top TE from 1973-1975 while with the Eagles. He made 3 Pro Bowls, 1 1st team All-Pro team and 2 2nd team All-Pro team in his first three years.

Young was a really high draft pick based on his reputation at USC. I think he landed in a perfect spot with the 73 Eagles...they had just acquired Roman Gabriel and were one of the few NFL teams at that time who passed the ball a lot. Part of the reason probably was because the Eagles were trailing in many games. Young's best attribute was his soft hands. He wasn't much of a blocker, and while he was athletic, he wasn't freakishly athletic. Similar to Riley Odoms but with better hands, I guess. I think if he was on a different team other than the Eagles to start his career, he may have been just another guy. When Gabriel was hurt for most of 1976, Young's numbers nose-dived. He held out prior to the 1977 season, and the Eagles shipped him to the Rams to avoid "Rozelle Rule" shenanigans after signing Jaworski. He was a bad fit in the Rams run-first offense because Terry Nelson was the superior blocker. He later became a solid contributor to the Niners and Seahawks and had nice longevity for a TE...perhaps because he got a respite with the Rams for a few seasons.

Two things about Young that I find weird. First, he had a clubhouse lawyer rep with the Eagles, but he had a leadership role with both the Niners and Seahawks. Second, Knox was Young's coach with the Rams and had him on the bench, then Knox acquired Young when he was hired with Seattle. Kind of odd.
Halas Hall

Post by Halas Hall »

Great material on Charle Young - a great player on John McKay's USC teams. I feel like Russ Francis is being overlooked a little, but maybe I am wrong? Can someone who saw Francis play give their opinion? Thanks a lot.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

Bryan wrote: He was a bad fit in the Rams run-first offense because Terry Nelson was the superior blocker. He later became a solid contributor to the Niners and Seahawks and had nice longevity for a TE...perhaps because he got a respite with the Rams for a few seasons.

Two things about Young that I find weird. First, he had a clubhouse lawyer rep with the Eagles, but he had a leadership role with both the Niners and Seahawks. Second, Knox was Young's coach with the Rams and had him on the bench, then Knox acquired Young when he was hired with Seattle. Kind of odd.
While the fit with Rams was not perfect, what the case was is this: Young was in Rosenloom's doghouse and Rams head coaches didn't always get final say on some things. Rosenbloom chose starting QBs in 1976, almost on a weekly basis, deciding on Haden. Forced Namath on Knox in 1977.

Young was still same outspoken guy in LA and it rubbed Rosenbloom raw. Rams coaches Knox and Malavasi not allowed to use him (all this according to Young, so take it as someone who is giving one-sided account)

The part about Rams coaches not getting to always start QBs is accurate to large degree...for a guy who wanted to win, Rosenbloom meddled a lot.

Anyway, Knox wanted Young back when he got to Seattle, knew his talent and even leadership. According to Young wanted to play him more in 1977 and Malavasi also did in 78-79
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JohnTurney wrote:While the fit with Rams was not perfect, what the case was is this: Young was in Rosenloom's doghouse and Rams head coaches didn't always get final say on some things. Rosenbloom chose starting QBs in 1976, almost on a weekly basis, deciding on Haden. Forced Namath on Knox in 1977.

Young was still same outspoken guy in LA and it rubbed Rosenbloom raw. Rams coaches Knox and Malavasi not allowed to use him (all this according to Young, so take it as someone who is giving one-sided account)

The part about Rams coaches not getting to always start QBs is accurate to large degree...for a guy who wanted to win, Rosenbloom meddled a lot.

Anyway, Knox wanted Young back when he got to Seattle, knew his talent and even leadership. According to Young wanted to play him more in 1977 and Malavasi also did in 78-79
Interesting....thanks for sharing that.
racepug

Post by racepug »

For me Rob Gronkowski is #1, hands down. (I'm not old enough to have seen - or remember anything about - guys like Iron Mike Ditka, John Mackey, or Jackie Smith [well, I do remember ONE thing about Jackie Smith, but it's not a GOOD memory {at least not for HIM}] or even Dave Casper).

Another one I've read great things about is Russ Francis, but, again, I don't really remember too much about him.

Others who have stood out, for me (in no particular order): Kellen Winslow, Sr. and Mark Bavaro. Shannon Sharpe was great but as someone else noted he was almost more like a big receiver than a true (that is, competent at both blocking AND receiving) TE. I feel kinda the same way about Tony Gonzalez (although on a personal level I find Tony Gonzalez to be MUCH more likeable than I do Shannon Sharpe).

Even though I've never played football or been a coach I'm kinda "old school" when it comes to TEs. To me they should be as John Madden described them in one of his books back in the '80s: "able to block as well as your best offensive lineman and able to catch as well as your best WR." (although not long thereafter in that same book he admitted: "that's probably asking too much")

To me the guys who've come closest to that ideal are the aforementioned "Gronk" and Mark Bavaro. Travis Kelce is obviously really good, too, but from what I've read he's not all that great a blocker. For that reason I actually like George Kittle more than I do Travis Kelce (to me George Kittle's only real drawback is that he's somewhat injury-prone. But when he's on the field he's a difference maker in my opinion).

For me I guess my top 3 (I couldn't possibly give you a "Top Ten") as of right now are: 1) Rob Gronkowski, 2) Mark Bavaro, 3) George Kittle.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

George Kittle is probably hopeful that Purdy comes back, though I doubt Brock will need Tommy John surgery. Kittle has good chemistry with him and if Purdy can get healthy without losing arm strength, Kittle's chances of being All-Pro again, will complement the defense and running game nicely ...
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

Too bad there is no room on these lists for Ben Coates.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

JohnTurney wrote:While the fit with Rams was not perfect, what the case was is this: Young was in Rosenloom's doghouse and Rams head coaches didn't always get final say on some things. Rosenbloom chose starting QBs in 1976, almost on a weekly basis, deciding on Haden. Forced Namath on Knox in 1977.

I heard that Rosenbloom said something about not wanting a N-Word (Shack Harris) or a Polack (Ron Jaworski) starting for his football team.
racepug

Post by racepug »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:I heard that Rosenbloom said something about not wanting a N-Word (Shack Harris) or a Polack (Ron Jaworski) starting for his football team.
I just don't understand that attitude at all. My understanding is that after George Preston Marshall was forced to obtain a Black player (Bobby Mitchell) for his team he later became one of his (Mitchell's) biggest fans. Maybe he should've tried getting some of "those guys" on his team before the Kennedy administration told him that he had to (if he wanted his team to be able to use the new stadium that had just opened on federal land [for those of you who don't know the story]). :roll: