Tim Rossovich

74_75_78_79_

Tim Rossovich

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news ... asses-away

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news ... difference

Yes, Alzado was a true Bronco. But, let's face it (apologies to all Mile High-fans), he should have always been a Raider. And Philly fans love their "everything you heard is true" kind of tough-guy 'characters'; but Tim Rossovich even more-so than an Eagle should have been a Raider as well.

I always knew enough of his colorful "love-of-life" rep off-the-field, and knew that he did live with Steve Sabol (and Gary Pettigrew) for a bit while in Philly, but I didn't know the whole thing about he being shifted from his DE position, in which he earned a Pro Bowl selection the year prior, to MLB in '70 under Jerry Williams. Nor did I know that he watched his very roommate's "film collection" to profusely study the hell out of Butkus to learn his new on-the-fly position.

Perhaps having had enough of his 'new-school'/'sign-of-the-times' shenanigans (his '72 off-season hold-out with Bradley being his latest incident), old-timer Khayat traded Tim to San Diego where he still resumed his LB position his two years there before, then, returning to Philly to play for the WFL's Bell until that league's demise.

Anyone who remembers him as a MLB, how did you all feel his performance was? His main position, which earned him that very Pro Bowl honor in '69, you'd think he would have returned to with the Chargers if not even before that with Khayat steeping onboard in '71. Did he play DE again with the Bell? And what position did he play in his very last year as a player, back in the NFL, with Bum's Oilers in '76? I see that he started just one game in that campaign. Thanks in-advance to any of those answered questions.

Further thoughts/commentary?

There's obviously a smorgasbord of stuff to say about him, lol. Simply seeing a picture of him holding an umbrella (one of the first things you see when you Google him), and that expression on his face, may be the most-sensible, telling pic to show of him. He, Sabol, and Pettigrew...that living-situation clearly not dull!

https://vault.si.com/vault/1971/09/20/h ... -a-success

Well perhaps this very article answers one question - he wanting to be "the best linebacker in the NFL". I'm guessing once in that position, he wanted to stay there instead of possibly going back to DE.
Last edited by 74_75_78_79_ on Sun Feb 05, 2023 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JoeZagorski

Re: Tim Rossovich

Post by JoeZagorski »

I don't know too much about his abilities on the field. But his former Philadelphia teammate, free safety Bill Bradley, told me several stories wherein Rossovich was involved. I wrote a book about Bradley (I am still trying to get a publisher for it). Most of Bradley's memories of Rossovich involve what the two men did off of the football field (LOL).
Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

JoeZagorski wrote:I don't know too much about his abilities on the field. But his former Philadelphia teammate, free safety Bill Bradley, told me several stories wherein Rossovich was involved. I wrote a book about Bradley (I am still trying to get a publisher for it). Most of Bradley's memories of Rossovich involve what the two men did off of the football field (LOL).
Sincerely,
Joe Zagorski
Book on Bradley? That ought to be a good one! Still, very regrettably, haven't gotten nor read your '70s book. I'll get to it!
RRMarshall

Post by RRMarshall »

Ironic that Rossovich is better remembered as a bit player actor than a football player! He showed up on many TV action shows (The A-Team, etc.) as a heavy in the 1970s and was the hit man in the 1981 movie Looker with Susan Dey and Albert Finney. Every time I saw him, I pictured him in his Eagles uniform! I