2022 season, (almost) ¼ way through

racepug

2022 season, (almost) ¼ way through

Post by racepug »

NFC North - Still the Packers but I have to put MIN down as a contender for the division title, as well. DET (with its porous "D") and CHI (with its mostly ineffective "O")? Probably not.

NFC East - Looks like every team except the Commanders has a shot at winning that division this year.

NFC South - As long at TB12 is where he is, T.B. is the team to beat in this division, especially considering what every other team in that division has to resort to as "starting QB." (From what I read yesterday the "Baker Mayfield 'experiment'" might already be over in CAR).

NFC West - Every team is 2 - 2 but I still think it comes down to the 49ers and Rams for this division. ARZ and SEA will, in the end, be "fighting it out" for 3rd place.

AFC North - I'm sticking with it coming down to BAL and CIN for the division title. CLE is, well, CLE, and until they get their QB situation worked out I don't see PIT contending for anything of note, either.

AFC East - BUF's "hiccup" vs. MIA was a surprise (at least to me) but with Tua out indefinitely, can the Dolphins upset all the pre-season predictions and keep BUF from winning the division?

AFC South - As I assessed before the season got going, the weakest division in the league this year. JAX (by virtue of point differential) currently leads the division!

AFC West - I haven't wavered from my pre-season prediction that it'll come down to the Chiefs and the Chargers for division supremacy. I don't see either the Broncos or the Raiders factoring in, much (except, possibly, as "spoilers").
sheajets

Re: 2022 season, (almost) ¼ way through

Post by sheajets »

Regarding the AFC East - I don't thing NE has much in terms of talent. Transition year...but Belichick will have them dangerous and overachieving. That was a remarkable job the other day nearly upsetting Green Bay with some 3rd string nobody at QB. Also an impressive win by the Jets in Pittsburgh. The Steelers ain't what they used to be...they'll be back on top soon enough but like with NE this is a transitionary year, but Wilson leading the Jets back from two scores down on the road in the 4th was very impressive. The Jets aren't ready to compete yet, but it's good to see them actually giving us a season where we can remain interested into November. NFC East will be Dallas or Philly, but an impressive job by the Giants new coaching staff even though it's pretty much been with smoke and mirrors and a revitalized Barkley. I don't think they'll keep this up, but they've stabilized that franchise. Daboll is pretty good
racepug

Post by racepug »

sheajets wrote:Regarding the AFC East - I don't thing NE has much in terms of talent. Transition year...but Belichick will have them dangerous and overachieving. That was a remarkable job the other day nearly upsetting Green Bay with some 3rd string nobody at QB.
I agree with you. Belichick is clearly an elite coach but even the best still have to have some talent to work with in order to succeed and he doesn't appear to have a whole lot of that right now.
sheajets wrote:Also an impressive win by the Jets in Pittsburgh.
I saw the end of that game and heard that that was only the Jets' 2nd win in their last 10 trips to PIT.
sheajets wrote:The Steelers ain't what they used to be...they'll be back on top soon enough but like with NE this is a transitionary year,
These days you can't succeed (at least not for very long) without some true talent at QB and PIT does not appear to have that right now (still way too early to know about Pickett)
sheajets wrote:but Wilson leading the Jets back from two scores down on the road in the 4th was very impressive. The Jets aren't ready to compete yet, but it's good to see them actually giving us a season where we can remain interested into November.
Agree. I'm not really a Jets fan, per se, but I have nothing against them and given that they're in the midst of the longest current playoff drought in the NFL it would be nice if they "rose up" and actually were competitive (at least for a while).
sheajets wrote:NFC East will be Dallas or Philly,
Honestly, I'm surprised by how well Jalen Hurts has been doing but I hope he and the "Iggles" can keep whatever it is they're doing up. I have no idea how the NFC entry based in TX keeps winning but it appears that they're going to contend for the division title, yet again.
sheajets wrote:but an impressive job by the Giants new coaching staff even though it's pretty much been with smoke and mirrors and a revitalized Barkley. I don't think they'll keep this up, but they've stabilized that franchise. Daboll is pretty good
I've been surprised by Los Gigantes so far this season, as well. I hope they remain a factor at least into December. Maybe it won't be such a bleak season for the (city of) New York teams, after all.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Not impressed by the Giants, who cant get the ball to Toney or Golladay. There are rumors OBJ might return but thats alot of underachieving talent. We will see if Daboll can get his passing offense in gear but Jones would rather run with the ball anyway until he gets hurt.
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

Brian wolf wrote:Not impressed by the Giants, who cant get the ball to Toney or Golladay. There are rumors OBJ might return but thats alot of underachieving talent. We will see if Daboll can get his passing offense in gear but Jones would rather run with the ball anyway until he gets hurt.
It's nice to see Barkley playing well, again. Otherwise the Giants start is due to, more than any other reason, their schedule. Fully expect them to be 3-5, 4-4 at best come their bye. But their 2nd half of the season schedule includes another 5 or 6 winnable games. Looking at a team that in theory could finish with 8 to 10 wins. And even if they don't get to that with the fairly easy [on-paper, of course] schedule. It's already caused inflated expectations and if they do beat teams like the Texans, Lions, Commanders x2, etc., it will cause massively inflated expectations for next season that likely won't be based in much reality.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Brian wolf wrote:Not impressed by the Giants, who cant get the ball to Toney or Golladay. There are rumors OBJ might return but thats alot of underachieving talent. We will see if Daboll can get his passing offense in gear but Jones would rather run with the ball anyway until he gets hurt.
I think the Odell visit was explained him visiting his friend Sterling Shepard who recently tore his ACL. This was not an official "interest" visit...I doubt they have any desire at all in him or he has any interest in going down that road again. He'll catch on with a legit contender eventually