Musings on 2022 season, Week 3

racepug

Musings on 2022 season, Week 3

Post by racepug »

Are there any standout teams in the NFL this year? Only two unbeaten teams through 3 weeks of the season, neither of them particularly highly-regarded before the season. BUF, T.B., K.C., and the LAC all went down to defeat over the weekend. K.C., in particular, I can't believe lost. Good thing I don't gamble cuz if I were THAT one would've lost me a LOT of money, I am sure!

Go Jaguars! Looks like the switch to Doug Pederson is already paying off in north FL!

Can the "Iggles" keep it up? Nobody else seems able to beat the NFC entry based in TX missing its star QB. It's mind-boggling, to me.

DET found a way to lose, again, and SEA lost at home to one of the (other) worst teams in the league. I'm not sure whether to type: "Good thing the Seahawks get DET next Sunday!" or "Good thing for the Lions that they get SEA next Sunday!" That game is definitely NOT "must see TV."

The Raiiii-daaahhhs are a mess. The only winless team in the league. So much for their belief that acquiring Davante Adams was going to propel them to a championship! Is Josh McDaniels even cut out to be a H.C.?
Reaser

Re: Musings on 2022 season, Week 3

Post by Reaser »

racepug wrote:Are there any standout teams in the NFL this year? Only two unbeaten teams through 3 weeks of the season, neither of them particularly highly-regarded before the season. BUF, T.B., K.C., and the LAC all went down to defeat over the weekend.
Buffalo is still a standout team. I'd say TB (BUF-TB my SB pick, shocker) is too, their deal is more injury (and a one week suspension) related and dependent on if/when they get healthy.

Disagree on Philly, tons of people were high on them coming into this season, especially coming out of the NFC East which wasn't projected to be particularly strong. I mean, I had/have the Eagles getting to the NFC Championship game and I don't think anyone batted an eye at that.

Less on Miami, I wasn't on board but were a lot of people that thought they had something coming into this year, too. So shouldn't be overly surprising.
K.C., in particular, I can't believe lost. Good thing I don't gamble cuz if I were THAT one would've lost me a LOT of money, I am sure!
I have the Colts making the playoffs and the Chiefs missing the playoffs. Totally thought the Colts would win yesterday ... no, no I didn't. Still stick with my preseason prediction, but the Colts and Ryan have looked awful, and didn't even look good yesterday! Was more about how off the Chiefs were, which is what I was thinking would happen this year, but of course didn't look like it the first two weeks. That said, as mentioned in one of these threads previously, the Colts have been playing without their best defensive player. Pretty big difference maker and their defense is why I thought they'd be "good", or at least good enough to get one of the million wild card spots.
Go Jaguars! Looks like the switch to Doug Pederson is already paying off in north FL!
I thought Pederson got a raw deal in Philly, though he didn't help at the end there, of course. Always thought he was a good coach, and not just because he's a fellow WA HS QB Club member, or because he has one of my favorite tackles in WA HSFB history -- a hilarious 'tackle' by nothing but the facemask to keep a kid out of the endzone, Pederson was a helluva HS DB.
DET found a way to lose, again, and SEA lost at home to one of the (other) worst teams in the league. I'm not sure whether to type: "Good thing the Seahawks get DET next Sunday!" or "Good thing for the Lions that they get SEA next Sunday!" That game is definitely NOT "must see TV."
Think we all knew the Seahawks wouldn't be good, or play an 'exciting' brand of football, whatever that means. But, to be fair, for the Lions, they are interesting to watch! They're not good, but they play teams close and are always in position to be -as mentioned last week- 'rubberbanded' back into games. Very similar to last season but an improved version. They'll play in a ton of close games this year, probably lose most of them but wouldn't put them on the "not must see TV" list. Plus, they have some pieces. St. Brown is very good, Swift is one of the more entertaining backs in the league (though banged up now), Tracy Walker has been one of the underrated safeties the past few years (also got injured) and Anzalone w/hard knocks legend "Rodrigo" are fun LBs to watch.
The Raiiii-daaahhhs are a mess. The only winless team in the league. So much for their belief that acquiring Davante Adams was going to propel them to a championship! Is Josh McDaniels even cut out to be a H.C.?
Texans are winless, as well, but get/know what you mean. Their record is a mess but they've played 3 close games. They could easily win their next 8, or just as easily lose their next 8, or probably just go 4-4 in that stretch but I'm not ready to say they're a mess, yet. Record, for sure, and easily and quickly could become a mess but have to lose a few more before their chances of a 7th seed are done. All they've really done is lost their margin-for-error. But it's not like they've been blown out or anything. That Cardinals loss might be the one that determined the season, though. Take care of business there and end up a 9-win team, 10-win if they had taken advantage of a winnable game yesterday. Now looking at 8-wins max and to get to the 10 they'll probably need they're going to have to beat teams they shouldn't, on paper.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Tua Tags for Miami has dealt with alot of scrutiny in his young NFL career, whether deserved or not. Coming back so soon from an apparent concussion sunday, to another one just four days later shows how idiotic some of these teams are. He will recover and hopefully play later in the year but something has to be done about the thursday night football package which continues to expose players to further potential injuries. The players bodies simply cant recover fast enough after a game from sunday and the package needs to be eliminated altogether, even if fans have to boycott or simply quit watching to help make it happen.

Will something good come out of this game tonight or will team doctors continue to evade the chance of sitting a star player for extended duration, with point spreads and television ratings on the line ?
racepug

Post by racepug »

Brian wolf wrote:Tua Tags for Miami has dealt with alot of scrutiny in his young NFL career, whether deserved or not. Coming back so soon from an apparent concussion sunday, to another one just four days later shows how idiotic some of these teams are. He will recover and hopefully play later in the year but something has to be done about the thursday night football package which continues to expose players to further potential injuries. The players bodies simply cant recover fast enough after a game from sunday and the package needs to be eliminated altogether, even if fans have to boycott or simply quit watching to help make it happen.

Will something good come out of this game tonight or will team doctors continue to evade the chance of sitting a star player for extended duration, with point spreads and television ratings on the line ?
I only saw the "highlight" of him going down this morning. Honestly, that was scary. He reminded me of the way Frank Gifford looked after that famous/infamous hit by Chuck Bednarik and those on this forum know how much time Frank Gifford missed after that. I won't be the least bit surprised if Tua misses a BUNCH of time this season after those two shots to his head.
Terry Baldshaw

Post by Terry Baldshaw »

The NFL's only concern is profit. If the TNF package is profitable it will remain.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Terry Baldshaw wrote:The NFL's only concern is profit. If the TNF package is profitable it will remain.
Well, FWIW, I AM boycotting it (and I hope many others will, too).
When the NFL moves to pay per view only it loses me as a customer.

The commercials on regular TV aren't enough profit for the greedy SOBs?
I hope they and Jeff Bezos will be very happy together.
No. No, I don't.
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

Terry Baldshaw wrote:The NFL's only concern is profit. If the TNF package is profitable it will remain.
I was going to subscribe to Amazon Prime Video, but here in Mexico we can see the TNF games live with the Fox Sports LatinAmerican network, which is avaliable in all cable subscriptions. Fox also broadcasts all Sunday 1 and 4 ET games here, but with commentors in Spanish.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

JuggernautJ wrote:
Well, FWIW, I AM boycotting it (and I hope many others will, too).
When the NFL moves to pay per view only it loses me as a customer.

The commercials on regular TV aren't enough profit for the greedy SOBs?
I hope they and Jeff Bezos will be very happy together.
No. No, I don't.
Ken Reed of the League of Fans refers to it as PAAC (Profit at all costs). It is one thing that is destroying sports, along with WAAC (Win at all costs). Also, after what happened at Penn State (with the football program), I add another one to that: IAAC (Image at all costs).

https://www.leagueoffans.org/