Post by racepug »

Bryan

Re: No more Pro Bowl!

Post by Bryan »

Robert Edwards, tho
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

It's a mild bummer to me. No, I never really watched the event. The same with me never really getting into the preseason. But I feel both should still exist.

Whatever happened to those old days of Bradshaw still playing against Staubach the week after the Super Bowl (and the writers actually giving Terry some gruff over playing a bad game)? And Jack Youngblood still playing in that very game...with a broken leg??

And what IS the last very such event in which every SB-participant from both teams, initially invited, all played in it (thanks, in-advance, for the answer)?
Reaser

Post by Reaser »

For a different take on it.

Comments online and social networks were the same today as they've been for the last decade or so. A good reminder that things like twitter (I've never had it but search it sometimes / i.e. today) aren't real life.

Always is "no one watches the Pro Bowl" or "the Pro Bowl gets horrible ratings" and some story hyping themselves up with "I've never watched the Pro Bowl" usually combined with "they should just do a skills competition" (they already do!) and/or "The Pro Bowl sucks but I like the skills competition!"

Meanwhile, 'no one' watches the Pro Bowl skills and the Pro Bowl game itself did better than TNF most years. Last season, though, the Pro Bowl fell to 6.69M. Which for the NFL isn't good but of course that beats most other things on TV, including majority of sports/sporting events. So there's that context. While the Pro Bowl Skills competition had 866k watching last season. Anything "NFL" coming in under a mil is bad.

So the responses/comments online have never really added up, to me. "No one watches the Pro Bowl," except millions and millions of people (including those wannabe 'badge of honor' claims of never watching it) and even for a lot of those joke-of-a-game years 10M+ were watching! While the "they should do a skills competition" or "I like the skills competition!" in reality comes with an actual horrible -in the context of the NFL- rating. Or what the number would be when people claim; "no one watches that."

Also, for past suggestions and what they'll be doing now, of "they should just have a flag football game." Naturally, as Bryan alluded to, that always conjures up images of Robert Edwards. Plus, the Pro Bowl itself had devolved into not much more than flag-football'ish, more two-hand-touch (or "thud") so essentially have already had the "not a real game" style that was unanimously disliked, and arguably -since they're so worried (nice stumble Tua) about 'player safety'- a safer lame game than actual flag football would be.

Either way, watched the skills & Pro Bowl every year prior back to as a kid and I'll watch this forthcoming nonsense. Just have always found it 'funny' the disconnect between what people claim and reality, when it comes to the Pro Bowl.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I used to watch the Pro Bowl...back when it was still something resembling a football game. It was a measure of pride to see one of your guys out there in your teams helmet making plays. But over time the game just started to get less and less physical, taken less seriously, and my interest level waned.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Mark my words, if the Pro Bowl goes to a flag football system and the ratings look good, it will get tinkered with for the changing of the game itself within 15 years ... God, I hope I am wrong, though I still believe the game is slowly dying ...