What catches that you've seen stick out over time?

Ness

What catches that you've seen stick out over time?

Post by Ness »

All long time NFL fans have seen zillions of catches. There are some however that I'm sure have etched their place in everyone's mind that have never been forgotten, and rank high compared to all others.

I think of the Gary Clark catch he made down the sideline when the Redskins played the Steelers in 1991. Or Jerry Rice one handed catch against the Rams in 1993 without breaking stride for a TD. Sometimes, the circumstances of the game make it more meaningful for people. Like the Terrell Owens catch against the Packers, or the David Tyree catch against the Patriots.

What are some of your favorite catches??? I want to know :D
sheajets

Re: What catches that you've seen stick out over time?

Post by sheajets »

Nowadays great catches have been really cheapened by the sticky Beckham gloves they wear. Seems like countless times a week you have receivers just throw a hand out and the ball just sticks to it. I've used them myself and were plucking balls out of the air with one hand like it was nothing. Great catches, particularly one handed ones, used to be rare and special. Now it seems like you have dozens a week. Really cheapens things. They really need to ban them already.

Going back in the day one I thought that is really underappreciated is Steve Watson down the sideline vs the Browns in OT during the 1986 AFC Championship Game. It was a leaping sideline catch and he took a huge, hard hit up around the head and neck on his way down. Very impressive making that catch and holding onto the ball.

There was a great one I recall that never gets replayed, Fouts to a Charger receiver vs San Fran. The receiver is literally being horse collared down from behind, juggles, then snags the ball one handed in the endzone for a TD. Spectacular catch
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

sheajets wrote:There was a great one I recall that never gets replayed, Fouts to a Charger receiver vs San Fran. The receiver is literally being horse collared down from behind, juggles, then snags the ball one handed in the endzone for a TD. Spectacular catch
That one was Wes Chandler...the guy had incredible body control and could absorb any type of hit.

Lenny Moore had a great diving TD catch against the Lions in 1960. Harlon Hill had a catch where he tipped it three times while being tackled into the end zone. Jack Snow had a big TD catch against the Colts in 1967 where he caught the back-half of the football while sliding into the end zone.

Two obscure catches that stick out to me...

Phil Epps of the Packers had a catch down the sideline against the Vikings...after catching the ball he hopped on one leg the final 10 yards into the end zone (alas, the unthinking ref ruled Epps out at the 3).

Billy Waddy of the Rams had a TD catch against the Saints in 1980 where he is running full-speed into the endzone, catches the ball at knee level at the back of the endzone, and immediately clips the goal post and flies into the cheerleader megaphone. Great stuff.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Lots of great catches, especially Lynn Swann and Drew Pearson in postseason but the 1974 Sea Of Hands Game was incredible because the Dolphins were killed by two TD catches that shouldnt have happened. First, there was Cliff Branch diving and trapping the ball on a pass and having the mindset to get up and run the ball in for a 72 yd TD. Today, replay would have easily overturned it. Then of course, the high, desperation pass from the Snake that Clarence Davis caught between two or three defenders to win the game. Davis was known to have bad hands, yet won probably the most dramatic playoff game that collectors like me, are still trying to find a copy of ...
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Another one I just remembered was a late season 1997 Steelers/Patriots game at Foxboro. Pitt trailed 21-13 late and were deep in NE territory. Needed to convert a 4th down or the game was over...Stewart with a collapsing pocket slings it about 15 yards towards the sidelines where Yancy Thigpen, coming back for the ball a bit, makes the most incredible diving catch, dropping both toes out of bounds with a full body extension. It looked like the ball already was out of bounds when Thigpen even got his hands on it and Ty Law was hounding him from behind

Pittsburgh would score, get the 2, and win in OT
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

One of my favorite catches was from Joe Washington when he was playing with the Colts (I think it was in Buffalo), when Washington made a Beckham Jr.- like catch (but without the modern gloves they use today) while falling to the ground.

Another favorite of mine was from the Bengals' Pat McInally in the 1980 season finale against the Browns, how he catches the ball while running (similar to Dave Casper' Ghost to the Post) and rolls over Oliver Davis for a 59-yard touchdown.
Retro Rider

Post by Retro Rider »

One that comes to mind is Warren Wells' improbable 33 yard TD reception that tied the Dec. 1970 Raiders @ Jets game with 8 seconds left. The pass should have been intercepted but a Jets defender juggled the ball and somehow it wound up in the arms of Wells. George Blanda's PAT won the game for Oakland, 14-13. It signaled a miserable decade ahead for Jets fans like myself.
asrqsbwfa50vby9vawrd.jpg
asrqsbwfa50vby9vawrd.jpg (49.84 KiB) Viewed 7189 times
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Great call Retro Rider !

According to John Madden, Wells tipped the ball away from the sandwiching defenders and caught it.
The guy was electric for four seasons ...
Ness

Post by Ness »

sheajets wrote:Nowadays great catches have been really cheapened by the sticky Beckham gloves they wear. Seems like countless times a week you have receivers just throw a hand out and the ball just sticks to it. I've used them myself and were plucking balls out of the air with one hand like it was nothing. Great catches, particularly one handed ones, used to be rare and special. Now it seems like you have dozens a week. Really cheapens things. They really need to ban them already.

Going back in the day one I thought that is really underappreciated is Steve Watson down the sideline vs the Browns in OT during the 1986 AFC Championship Game. It was a leaping sideline catch and he took a huge, hard hit up around the head and neck on his way down. Very impressive making that catch and holding onto the ball.

There was a great one I recall that never gets replayed, Fouts to a Charger receiver vs San Fran. The receiver is literally being horse collared down from behind, juggles, then snags the ball one handed in the endzone for a TD. Spectacular catch
Yes the new era gloves that have come out in the last 15 years have made circus catches easier. It's remarkable a ball is ever even dropped. This is why I usually hold catches from way back in higher regard.

They won't be banned, because they're another cog in the new age of skyrocketing offense. Fans like more points. More catches = to more points.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

Max Mcgee in SB I

And, as a San Francisco local I would be remiss if I didn't mention:
The Catch by Dwight Clark in the 1981 NFC Championship Game and...
THE Catch by Willie Mayes in game one of the 1954 World Series! ;)