The 25 best teams to miss the playoffs 1978 to 2019

Ness

The 25 best teams to miss the playoffs 1978 to 2019

Post by Ness »

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles ... 97#slide_1

This article came out from Yardbarker yesterday. Any teams you would have liked to have seen make it? 2005 Chiefs is probably my top choice, and would have certainly rather watched them in the playoffs compared to Jacksonville. I think the 1984 Cardinals would have been interesting than the Giants that year. 2004 Bills, but maybe they didn't deserve to go after losing at home to the Steelers backups. Didn't think the 1991 49ers would get the top spot, although they were probably the second best team after Washington cemented themselves as a distant first. Probably do a lot more damage than Atlanta or Detroit did.
Brian wolf

Re: The 25 best teams to miss the playoffs 1978 to 2019

Post by Brian wolf »

Interesting article ...

The 49ers were the hottest team at the end of the 1991 season but Philly with their great defense, also had their chance to make the postseason but got beat by a young Cowboys team determined to end their humiliation to the Eagles.

The Denver Broncos with their defense in 1985, could have also held the top spot. They lost close games to the Dolphins and Raiders twice, which could have given them the division. Who knows what Elway could have done in postseason ?

The 1978 Chargers and 1984 Cardinals were hot offensive teams that could have made noise in the postseason but the Cards butchered the clock and tried to rush a FG attempt that missed against the Redskins for the division. The 85 and 86 Bengals also had a powerful offensive team that should have made the postseason but fell on their faces in crucial losses to the Redskins in 1985 after blowing a 24-7 lead and to the Browns in 1986 with a chance to win the division but HC Sam Wyche didnt prepare his team properly and they were blownout ...
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Help me out vikingsfan1963 ... What year was the Vikings missing out on the playoffs with McCown and the Cardinals beating them with a last second TD pass ? Didnt the Vikes start 6-0 that year ?
Ness

Post by Ness »

Brian wolf wrote:Help me out vikingsfan1963 ... What year was the Vikings missing out on the playoffs with McCown and the Cardinals beating them with a last second TD pass ? Didnt the Vikes start 6-0 that year ?
That was 2003. Strangely enough, about a month ago, the full broadcast of that game was finally provided thanks to a user on YouTube. Had to snatch that up myself for my personal archive. Still one of the most hilarious games I've ever seen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C-mszlimpg
vikingsfan1963

Post by vikingsfan1963 »

It was almost like the result of that game was predetermined!!! I don't have to look at that YouTube link as I remember too much of it!
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks ... Hadnt seen those last second highlights in years. Did you feel Poole got both feet down for the TD ? Hard to believe a Culpepper/Moss team would collapse like that
Mark

Post by Mark »

The official was signaling push-out so he is saying the receiver would have had both feet in if he wasn't pushed out first.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thanks Mark ... I had forgotten about the pushout call. I still wonder if Poole would have gotten his feet down inbounds but it was disastrous for the Vikings crazy season ...

That 2005 season for KC could have indeed been in the top three ... Johnson was a beast for the Chiefs that year but fans still feel had Holmes stayed healthy, he would have already made the HOF. His case is similar to Terrell Davis, though he played longer ...
Shipley

Post by Shipley »

The 1979 Washington Redskins were minutes away from clinching a playoff berth in their final game of the season against the Dallas Cowboys, but Roger Staubach engineered one of his great comebacks and the Redskins lost 35-34 to finish 10-6. They were tied with the Bears for the final playoff spot, but Chicago won the tie-breaker based on points scored in the season when they beat the Cardinals that same day 42-6. John Riggins broke off a 66-yard run to put the Skins up 34-21 in the fourth quarter, and was so discouraged by the loss it's been said that's why he sat out the following season. After the game, Harvey Martin opened the door to the Redskins' locker room and threw in a crying towel. The Cowboys-Redskins rivalry was a much bigger deal back then, and that loss was a particularly painful one.
lastcat3

Post by lastcat3 »

Shipley wrote:The 1979 Washington Redskins were minutes away from clinching a playoff berth in their final game of the season against the Dallas Cowboys, but Roger Staubach engineered one of his great comebacks and the Redskins lost 35-34 to finish 10-6. They were tied with the Bears for the final playoff spot, but Chicago won the tie-breaker based on points scored in the season when they beat the Cardinals that same day 42-6. John Riggins broke off a 66-yard run to put the Skins up 34-21 in the fourth quarter, and was so discouraged by the loss it's been said that's why he sat out the following season. After the game, Harvey Martin opened the door to the Redskins' locker room and threw in a crying towel. The Cowboys-Redskins rivalry was a much bigger deal back then, and that loss was a particularly painful one.
Are you referring to net points in a season or strictly total points? If it is total points when did they get rid of that tiebreaker? They still have net points but it is all the way down towards the bottom of the tie breaker list and extremely rarely (if ever) gets to that point.