So, what's the purpose of this new USFL?

Re: So, what's the purpose of this new USFL?

Postby RyanChristiansen » Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:58 am

It's a made-for-TV league in the way all of the games are played in the same location and with low expectations for fan turnout. I do think the optics with few fans are bad, though, and they should probably hire some extras.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
RyanChristiansen

Postby JKelly » Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:22 am

Brian wolf wrote:Due to weather, having a problem completing their first weekend. Better have a more spartan attitude than that because bad weather has always been a part of football, though lightning is a good excuse. I bet Bronco Nagurski played during lightning ... haha

A shocking assumption.
JKelly

Postby Todd Pence » Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:09 pm

I don't know? What's the purpose of arms on a T-Rex? Or nipples on men?
Todd Pence

Postby BD Sullivan » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:38 pm

I've yet to see any games that were played before anything even remotely resembling a big crowd. As previously noted, this is just an excuse to have TV programming. The NFL gets monster ratings, so Fox and NBC are glad to skim even a portion of that audience for time periods that are just dumping grounds.

I'm still trying to figure out the purpose of having teams that are supposed to represent specific cities. Does anyone in these communities get excited when their team wins? It's ironic that Birmingham (where all the games have been played) is in the championship game--to be played in Canton on Sunday. The game does have one connection to the old USFL--the Stars are once again playing--like they did in all three back then.
BD Sullivan

Previous

Return to Football Talk