Third.string quarterback question

Gary Najman

Third.string quarterback question

Post by Gary Najman »

I have a question about the 3rd-string quarterback in today's NFL. When I started watching the NFL (1977) I remember that all teams had three active quarterbacks in a single game, many of them never saw action, but there were a few instances during the late 70s and afterwards that all three quarterbacks took part in the game (the 1984 Kansas City- Seattle game at the Kingdome comes to mind). Nowadays I see that the teams don´t carry an active 3rd-string quarterback, but my question is this.: are they in uniform just in case there is an injury? Any help in the topic is appreciated.
rhickok1109

Re: Third.string quarterback question

Post by rhickok1109 »

From 1991 through 2010, the NFL allowed a team to have an emergency QB in addition to its 45-man active roster. If the third QB was used, the 1st and 2nd QBs were no longer eligible to re-enter the game.

In 2011, the roster limit was expanded from 45 to 46 with the idea that most teams would use the extra spot for a third QB. However, that's not a requirement and teams often use the spot for another position.
JKelly

Post by JKelly »

Having 3 QB's active active in the 1970's may have happened more often but plenty of teams got around it. A good example was Dallas.

From 1970-73 Dallas didn't have a third active QB. I believe from 1970 -71 Dan Reeves would have stepped into that roll if needed. 1972-73 they had Jack Concannon stashed away on the taxi squad. In 1974 I think for the first couple games they had 3 QBs until Morton was traded but I may be wrong. Morton may not have been active. 1975-77 They only had 2 but Danny White saved a roster spot being the punter. The final two years of the 1970's they did carry 3 QBs after they drafted Glenn Carano.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

JKelly wrote:Having 3 QB's active active in the 1970's may have happened more often but plenty of teams got around it. A good example was Dallas.

From 1970-73 Dallas didn't have a third active QB. I believe from 1970 -71 Dan Reeves would have stepped into that roll if needed. 1972-73 they had Jack Concannon stashed away on the taxi squad.
In the first game of 1972, Dan Reeves ended up playing QB for Dallas (IIRC).
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Dallas did have a 3rd QB in 1970, Bob Belden. Belden was active for a few games but never played.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Bears 3rd string QB in 1972-1973 was Zeke Bratkowski! Bratkowski had retired and was a coach. He had retired as a QB after 1968, stayed with the Packers as a coach, but the Packers didn't retain his playing rights, Vikings picked him up somehow, and the Packers had to trade to get him back when he came out of retirement in 1971. Here the Bears did trade for his playing rights, he never played though he was active for a while in 1973.

In 1972 Concannon played out his option and went to Dallas, where he was never activated. Bears got Bob Asher and draft choice back. Kent Nix was released and went to Houston. Jim Fassel was drafted but didn't make it. John Huarte, who never played anywhere, was the #2. He was picked up on waivers from the Chiefs very late. Couldn't have known the playbook. Then again, Bobby Douglass also didn't know the playbook. No Dick Gordon to throw to as he also left as a FA, Halas being in maximum cheapskate mode.
John Grasso

Post by John Grasso »

Jay Z wrote:Bears 3rd string QB in 1972-1973 was Zeke Bratkowski! .
He was at our meeting in Green Bay a few years ago. I asked him for an autograph
but he wanted my autograph first!
(I was treasurer of PFRA then and wrote him a check for his travel expenses.)
Ronfitch

Post by Ronfitch »

John Grasso wrote:
Jay Z wrote:Bears 3rd string QB in 1972-1973 was Zeke Bratkowski! .
He was at our meeting in Green Bay a few years ago. I asked him for an autograph
but he wanted my autograph first!
(I was treasurer of PFRA then and wrote him a check for his travel expenses.)
Zeke and Bob (Long) were fantastic. Bob came early with Rich from Milwaukee and ended up staying both days. He sat next to me for most of it and kept turning to me, saying stuff like, "How do you guys know so much about this?"
"Now, I want pizza." 
 - Ken Crippen
lehotskys80

Post by lehotskys80 »

Bryan wrote:In the first game of 1972, Dan Reeves ended up playing QB for Dallas (IIRC).
Reeves also finished the 2nd game of the '71 season against Philadelphia. Staubach was injured early in the game on late hit by Mel Tom, and Morton took Dallas to a 42-0 lead. Reeves came in for the final two series and went 2-3 for 24 yards. In '72 he was the backup to Morton most of the season until Staubach was activated
Jay Z wrote:Dallas did have a 3rd QB in 1970, Bob Belden. Belden was active for a few games but never played.
As a rookie, Belden was only active for the very 1st game of 1969 as a backup to Staubach (also a rookie) who started in his first NFL game in place of an injured Morton against St Louis.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bob_Belde ... _football)