Roethlisberger retires

Brian wolf

Re: Roethlisberger retires

Post by Brian wolf »

Will be in the HOF but may not make it first ballot. Steelers should have won three SBs with him but squandered chances between 2014 - 2017 due to Tomlin in my opinion. Enjoy retirement Big Ben.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

And for those of us who don't go to faux news:
https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-qb-be ... 18-seasons

Putting that jersey on every Sunday with my brothers will always be one of the greatest joys of my life.
And that (imho) is what football is all about.
Eagles One

Post by Eagles One »

JuggernautJ wrote:And for those of us who don't go to faux news:
https://www.nfl.com/news/steelers-qb-be ... 18-seasons

Putting that jersey on every Sunday with my brothers will always be one of the greatest joys of my life.
And that (imho) is what football is all about.
Give me a break! It was the first news site I clicked on. Oh wow! You posted the same exact news story.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

I've posted something like this before, but perhaps with not quite so much detail.

Let's look at the stats for two QBs. Call them R2 and R2.

Quarterback R1
7 Pro Bowls
Regular Season AV 218 Yds 63440 Cmp% 64.9 Y/A 7.8 Y/C 12.0 TD% 5.2 Int% 2.6 Rtg 95.2
Playoffs Cmp% 59.4 Y/A 7.4 Y/C 12.5 TD% 4.0 Int% 2.5 Rtg 85.3

Quarterback R2
8 Pro Bowls
Regular Season AV 208 Yds 64085 Cmp% 64.4 Y/A 7.6 Y/C 11.8 TD 421 TD% 5.0 Int% 2.5 Rtg 93.5
Playoffs Cmp% 63.2 Y/A 7.6 Y/C 12.0 TD% 4.6 Int% 3.6 Rtg 86.7

Pretty similar, right? If anything, R! might seems to have a slight edge, but so slight as to be insignificant.

Of course, R1 is Philip Rivers and R2 is Roethlisberger.

"But...but...but Big Ben won 2 Super Bowls," his supporters exclaim.

Well, his team did. Let's see how Roethlisberger performed in his 3 SB appearances:

Com Att Yds TD Int Rtg
SB XL 9 21 123 0 2 22.6
SB XLIII 21 30 256 1 1 93.2
SB XLV 25 40 263 2 2 77.4
55 91 642 3 5 68.1

Does that kind of mediocrity really elevate him above Rivers and into the HOF?
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

I agree with you on the Rivers-Roethlisberger comparison. I don't really see that as being damning to Roethlisberger, because Rivers was a fantastic QB IMO. He was probably better than most of the lower-tier HOF QBs (Stabler, Moon, Fouts, Dawson to name a few). Rivers was consistently good. I think Roethlisberger was a significantly better playmaker than Rivers, especially when the protection broke down, but I think that if Rivers had won two SBs then he would be viewed as the superior QB. Is that fair? I don't know. The list of QBs who won titles with multiple coaches is extremely short, and Roethlisberger is on it. I think it shows that Roethlisberger could excel in numerous situations at the highest level.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

The answer is Yes, Ralph ...

Rivers has led talented teams, with Tomlinson, Gates, Sproles, Jackson, Turner, Neal, Merriman, Jammer, Floyd, and other talented players and has won a single divisional playoff game, while Big Ben has led the Steelers to five overrall championship wins, including winning a SB with a touchdown pass.
Of course, he wouldn't have won his first SB without making a game-saving tackle on a late fumble return against the Colts in the divisional round. The Steelers had talented teams from 2014-to 2017 but the younger players made crucial mistakes while Ben mostly played well.
Last edited by Brian wolf on Sat Jan 29, 2022 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

Bryan wrote:I agree with you on the Rivers-Roethlisberger comparison. I don't really see that as being damning to Roethlisberger, because Rivers was a fantastic QB IMO. He was probably better than most of the lower-tier HOF QBs (Stabler, Moon, Fouts, Dawson to name a few). Rivers was consistently good. I think Roethlisberger was a significantly better playmaker than Rivers, especially when the protection broke down, but I think that if Rivers had won two SBs then he would be viewed as the superior QB. Is that fair? I don't know. The list of QBs who won titles with multiple coaches is extremely short, and Roethlisberger is on it. I think it shows that Roethlisberger could excel in numerous situations at the highest level.
Yet he didn't perform at a very high level in his three Super Bowl appearances. Not to mention that their playoff numbers are very similar.
Jay Z

Post by Jay Z »

Rivers is not really the equal of Rothlisberger. Rivers had some pretty significant deficiencies as a clutch QB, and it can be seen in his splits. Rothlisberger is clearly better once you break down the splits.
RichardBak

Post by RichardBak »

Ben's got the numbers, longevity, and SB rings to make it into the Hall on his first try. I don't particularly like the guy, but I gotta give him his due.

You can spin postseason numbers all you want. Look at Bobby Layne. He won 2 of the 3 title games he was in---like Ben, who is criticized for winning only 2 of his 3 Super Bowls. Layne had godawful playoff stats (12 int. vs. 1 TD pass, a 29.9 rating) and upon retirement had thrown more interceptions than anyone in history. Yet nobody doubted that he was a surefire first-ballot HOFer.

At the end of the day, the only thing that truly counts in the NFL (or any pro sport) is winning. That's what you're paid to do. Big Ben did it often enough, and with a certain gritty aplomb, to deserve one of dem fancy gold jackets.

FWIW---I think Rivers gets in, too, but not first-ballot.