Bill Cowher VS Mike Tomlin, UPDATED: 15 seasons apiece now!

74_75_78_79_

Bill Cowher VS Mike Tomlin, UPDATED: 15 seasons apiece now!

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

Tomlin’s got the better regular season win-%age at .643 to .623, but Cowher’s got the better playoff record at 12-9 to 8-9. Each got ten playoff berths, each 1-1 in Super Bowls, Tomlin winning the division 8 times to Cowher’s 7, but Cowher in twice as many AFCCGs with 6 to Tomlin’s 3! Tomlin STILL not suffering a losing season yet quite the feather-in-cap!

Both have great runs! Tomlin still can either help or hurt his status in this particular debate as well as legacy-in-general. Long story short, I’d have to give Cowher the nod thus far if only due to Tomlin having Big Ben his entire career whereas Cowher only had him at QB his last three years; and this, of course, being before #7 fully blossomed to the HOFer he’s obviously going to become.
Brian wolf

Re: Bill Cowher VS Mike Tomlin, UPDATED: 15 seasons apiece n

Post by Brian wolf »

Here is the question though ... would you 74_75_78_79 bring Tomlin back ?
Yes, he has won alot of games with many double-digit winning seasons but has been only 3-7 in the postseason since the 2010/11 SB. The last three postseason games, his teams were blownout by the third quarter before making the final scores look more respectable. This coming from a defense with what, five straight 50+ sack seasons ? The team has too much talent not to be making more noise in the postseason ...
74_75_78_79_

Post by 74_75_78_79_ »

I'd keep him if I were in charge. Who are you going to replace him with? If they don't acquire Aaron Rodgers, this immediate post-Big Ben era is really going to serve as a true test for him. And I think he'll show his stuff in such an event. Let's see.

Echoing what has been said here already, Tomlin’s thing was his inability to ‘solve’ Belichick/Brady. Yes, you can ask, “Well who was able to?” Being that the Pats didn’t win the SB every single year, you got John Harbaugh, Peyton’s Broncos, ’17 Eagles, and - of course - Tom Coughlin (twice)! Other than a regular season win here and there, Tomlin never was able to beat NE in a big one and it seemed he never tried to readjust or change strategy.

Oh, I forgot, Rex Ryan with Sanchez at QB also in on the act with those others mentioned last paragraph!

All that said, had Antonio Brown not gone down in the ’15 playoffs, nice enough chance they meet Carolina in the Super Bowl. That was Tomlin’s best shot at winning a Lombardi in the ’10s.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Thats the thing though ... Tomlin has a HOF QB, yet in his last four consecutive playoff losses, his teams have been outscored 171 - 117, and thats with the offenses scoring way too late. He couldnt win in the playoffs with Leveon Bell or Antonio Brown and now Watt, Hayward and Fitzpatrick are feeling postseason frustration.

The days of coaches staying with their teams for 25 years are long gone. The game has changed too much. At some point Steelers fans have to realize enough is enough. Youre right, there is hardly any coach out there that could replace Tomlin but I feel Doug Pederson could do it, if given the chance.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

I agree, who out there is going to be an upgrade from Mike Tomlin? I bet if you ask a bunch of people, they rank him as a top five or top ten coach. But I agree, he has failed to succeed in the playoffs. The personnel has been there for him to do well... and guys he has brought in or drafted during his tenure.

As for the Cowher/Tomlin debate... they are probably equivalents. If Cowher is in Canton, then Tomlin has to be one day. Cowher had the benefit of great defenses. I don't think Tomlin's defenses have been as solid. Tomlin had the benefit of a franchise QB.. while Cowher had Mike Tomczak and Kordell Stewart (bust) that failed to be a success.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Brian wolf wrote:Thats the thing though ... Tomlin has a HOF QB, yet in his last four consecutive playoff losses, his teams have been outscored 171 - 117, and thats with the offenses scoring way too late. He couldnt win in the playoffs with Leveon Bell or Antonio Brown and now Watt, Hayward and Fitzpatrick are feeling postseason frustration.

The days of coaches staying with their teams for 25 years are long gone. The game has changed too much. At some point Steelers fans have to realize enough is enough. Youre right, there is hardly any coach out there that could replace Tomlin but I feel Doug Pederson could do it, if given the chance.
His team also missed the playoffs in 2018 with nine Pro Bowlers on the roster. That is unacceptable.

Tomlin isn't too bad, but he isn't nearly as great as people make him out to be.

In addition, it is about accountability when you get right down to it. Nobody holds him accountable. The Rooney's just gave him another extension (which he didn't earn). You can't have that and expect to have success. He will be exposed now since Ben will be gone.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

7DnBrnc53 wrote:His team also missed the playoffs in 2018 with nine Pro Bowlers on the roster. That is unacceptable.
I only count 8, but it's an interesting sign of failure nonetheless.

The 1978 Bengals had 13 1st round draft picks on their roster and went 4-12. The Steelers had 7 1st round picks and went 14-2.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

You're right Sluggermatt15 ...

The Steelers are in a rebuilding mode, especially on the offensive line.
Hopefully, with the veterans and talent that is already there, they can take the next step toward a playoff win next year but what do you do at QB? Rodgers could join them but will they be able to afford him because Watt is fixing to get paid ... They could go with their current QBs because Haskins still believes he can start for the team over Rudolph. Do you put him in as a starter even if he isn't showing much in the preseason or the practice field? Maybe playing, is the only way he can improve and show what he has?

Maybe the team could possibly bring in Garner Minshew from Philly. It's obvious that the Eagles are going to sink or swim with Hurts and Minshew might not get a fair chance at the job. The Steelers could bring him in and let him compete with the other two, till they draft an heir to Big Ben but this team has to be patient because the fans would never put up with any tanking for a high prospect.

QB decision or not, the team has to get the offensive line improved and bring in another RB to compliment Harris and run the ball even more effectively. A strong running game will help the QB situation.
sluggermatt15

Post by sluggermatt15 »

Given what Tomlin had this year, I think he did OK. He could have won more games, maybe 10 or 11.

I don't think we have ever seen the best Haskins can be in the NFL. Him and Rudolph haven't even started a full season (16 career games). I am not impressed with either of them. I don't think Rudolph is a talent, he seems more like a game manager. In his only start this year, he SHOULD have beaten the Lions. Tomlin did say he and Haskins will compete for the job. But I would be hard pressed if the Steelers don't try to sign a FA quarterback. I don't think they get Rodgers, Russell Wilson or any of the big names. They just paid TJ Watt a big deal and don't have a lot of extra cap space. It's going to be how it usually is, have to find a bargain, and it turns into gold. I don't necessarily know drafting a rookie is the answer either. Hard expectations for a new kid to come in and be the next Ben, which is a generational talent.

I agree about the line and running game. Could easily draft another lineman in the first round. Anyway, it will be a very interesting off-season. I just hope they don't sit on their hands like they did last off-season.