lateral passes attempted

ChrisBabcock

lateral passes attempted

Post by ChrisBabcock »

I managed a trip to the Hall on Saturday and came across this in the "NFL's first century" room. In 1946 Bill Dudley led the league in "lateral passes attempted". I have never heard of such a stat being tracked. I would think a lateral pass would be a backward pass? Nowadays that would be tracked as a rushing attempt by the player who caught that screen pass. In 1946 was an overhand pass that traveled backward tracked as a separate stat other than a rushing attempt? If so, when did that change to how its tracked today as a rushing attempt?
Attachments
24 AAFC.JPG
24 AAFC.JPG (230.9 KiB) Viewed 12329 times
TodMaher

Re: lateral passes attempted

Post by TodMaher »

Back then laterals were a separate stat. Then they changed it to the way the count laterals today - they are part of originating play - rush, reception, kickoff return, etc.

Laterals behind the line scrimmage - i.e. "pitchouts" or backward passes - are not (and never have been) statistically counted as laterals. On plays from scrimmage (rushing attempts and pass receptions) they count only if they occur beyond the line of scrimmage.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

TodMaher wrote:Laterals behind the line scrimmage - i.e. "pitchouts" or backward passes - are not (and never have been) statistically counted as laterals. On plays from scrimmage (rushing attempts and pass receptions) they count only if they occur beyond the line of scrimmage.
Why did they stop counting laterals? Seems like it would be an interesting stat.
RyanChristiansen

Post by RyanChristiansen »

Bryan wrote:Why did they stop counting laterals? Seems like it would be an interesting stat.
It would be, but I think the use of the lateral largely disappeared as the Pro Set displaced wing-style offenses. I think the lateral continued to be prolific on option run style college offenses, but not in the pros.
"Five seconds to go... A field goal could win it. Up in the air! Going deep! Tipped! Caught! Touchdown! The Vikings! They win it! Time has run out!" - Vikings 28, Browns 23, December 14, 1980, Metropolitan Stadium
TodMaher

Post by TodMaher »

Bryan wrote:
TodMaher wrote:Laterals behind the line scrimmage - i.e. "pitchouts" or backward passes - are not (and never have been) statistically counted as laterals. On plays from scrimmage (rushing attempts and pass receptions) they count only if they occur beyond the line of scrimmage.
Why did they stop counting laterals? Seems like it would be an interesting stat.
The NFL stopped scoring them as a separate category in 1949.