Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby Halas Hall » Fri Jul 30, 2021 5:28 pm

I know there are a lot of Buffalo Bills fans on here. What are some thoughts on Chuck Knox's term with the Bills from 1978-1982? I was sixteen in 1982, but remember some good playoff games against the Chargers in San Diego and the Jets at Shea Stadium.
Halas Hall
 
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:00 pm

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby Brian wolf » Fri Jul 30, 2021 6:57 pm

The Bills should have tried to keep Knox but would he have went for a QB in the 83 draft or go after Dickerson/Warner ?
Brian wolf
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 am

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby Jamie Johnson » Sat Jul 31, 2021 1:00 am

Why did Knox resign? Had Knox stayed in Buffalo, I wonder who Seattle would have hired.
Jamie Johnson
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby 7DnBrnc53 » Sat Jul 31, 2021 8:52 pm

Jamie Johnson wrote:Why did Knox resign? Had Knox stayed in Buffalo, I wonder who Seattle would have hired.


https://www.nytimes.com/1983/01/26/spor ... tract.html

According to this article, it had to do with his contract. If Knox stayed in Buffalo, maybe the Seahawks could have went after Marv Levy or Leeman Bennett, HC's that should have gotten one more year with the Chiefs and Falcons.
7DnBrnc53
 
Posts: 930
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 7:57 pm

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby Brian wolf » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:48 pm

I never understood why George Allen wasnt rehired into the NFL in 1986 ?
Brian wolf
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 am

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby SixtiesFan » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:47 am

Brian wolf wrote:I never understood why George Allen wasnt rehired into the NFL in 1986 ?


It was often bandied about, "Why doesn't somebody hire George Allen?" There was an article in Football Digest with this title. The NFL owners/front offices didn't want him. Some teams even hired recycled losers rather than George Allen.
SixtiesFan
 
Posts: 662
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2014 8:04 pm

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby Brian wolf » Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:36 am

Thanks for that article 7D ...

Its surprising Knox didnt go back to the Rams since Rosenbloom was gone but he might not have liked Georgia.
As for the Bills they had their chances but Ferguson at QB wasnt the answer. Krieg in Seattle was similar, tough but unable to win the big games. Did injuries do in WR Jerry Butler ?
Brian wolf
 
Posts: 710
Joined: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:43 am

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby Jamie Johnson » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:04 am

SixtiesFan wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:I never understood why George Allen wasnt rehired into the NFL in 1986 ?


It was often bandied about, "Why doesn't somebody hire George Allen?" There was an article in Football Digest with this title. The NFL owners/front offices didn't want him. Some teams even hired recycled losers rather than George Allen.


My theory is that Halas used his influence to have Allen blacklisted after 1978. How else to explain a coach with a .712 lifetime winning percentage being unemployed until the USFL came into existence?
Jamie Johnson
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby Jamie Johnson » Mon Aug 02, 2021 12:17 am

Brian wolf wrote:Thanks for that article 7D ...

Its surprising Knox didnt go back to the Rams since Rosenbloom was gone but he might not have liked Georgia.
As for the Bills they had their chances but Ferguson at QB wasnt the answer. Krieg in Seattle was similar, tough but unable to win the big games. Did injuries do in WR Jerry Butler ?


Butler sustained a knee injury that caused him to miss the entire 1984 season. After a good comeback year in 1985, Butler’s career ended when he broke his ankle catching a TD pass in 1986.
Jamie Johnson
 
Posts: 27
Joined: Sun Dec 06, 2020 11:48 pm

Re: Chuck Knox's Buffalo Bills

Postby Jay Z » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:16 am

Jamie Johnson wrote:
SixtiesFan wrote:
Brian wolf wrote:I never understood why George Allen wasnt rehired into the NFL in 1986 ?


It was often bandied about, "Why doesn't somebody hire George Allen?" There was an article in Football Digest with this title. The NFL owners/front offices didn't want him. Some teams even hired recycled losers rather than George Allen.


My theory is that Halas used his influence to have Allen blacklisted after 1978. How else to explain a coach with a .712 lifetime winning percentage being unemployed until the USFL came into existence?


Halas "let" Allen get hired three different times, THEN blackballed him? Some blackballing. Most coaches would kill to get three different HC hires.

Allen was 60 when the Rams fired him the second time. I'm sure that fiasco made people think twice. So Allen needed some time off, and a couple of years go by and he's on the borderline of being too old. At 68 in 1986 Allen was too old; even Halas, who owned his own team, only made it to 72!
Jay Z
 
Posts: 608
Joined: Sun Oct 12, 2014 7:42 pm
Location: Madison WI

Next

Return to Football Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 33 guests