1985 Seattle Seahawks

CSKreager

1985 Seattle Seahawks

Post by CSKreager »

Sandwiched around the playoff runs of 1983/1984 and the winning seasons of 1986-1988…..

Was an unusual 8-8 Seattle team that literally alternated wins and losses all year

2-0, 2-2, 4-2, 4-4, 6-4, 6-6, 8-6, 8-8)

When good, they were very good (blowouts of division winning Browns and Raiders)

When bad, they were very bad (MNF setbacks to Rams/49ers)

What the heck happened to this version of Ground Chuck in the Pacific Northwest?
Brian wolf

Re: 1985 Seattle Seahawks

Post by Brian wolf »

Down year for their offensive line, giving up alot of sacks and not running that well other than Warner. Good passing game but a very tough division as well.
Bryan

Post by Bryan »

CSKreager wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:22 pm When good, they were very good (blowouts of division winning Browns and Raiders)

When bad, they were very bad (MNF setbacks to Rams/49ers)

What the heck happened to this version of Ground Chuck in the Pacific Northwest?
I remember that being a theme with Dave Krieg. Very hot-and-cold QB. IIRC, Chuck Knox lost his mind and benched Krieg in 1986 for Gale Gilbert.
racepug

Post by racepug »

My memory of 1985 is that expectations for the Seahawks going into the season were pretty high, presumably because they finished 12 - 4 (after a 12 - 2 start) the year before without the services of star RB Curt Warner (who blew a knee out in the season-opening rout of the CLE Browns). At least, those were the expectations outside the locker room (I seem to recall an "esteemed publication" - the sort of "esteemed publication" favored by young men - predicting a San Francisco vs. Seattle S.B. that year). Obviously I don't know what the expectations were for that team inside the locker room but I'm sure whatever they were they probably weren't met as the team started out 2 - 0 and then lost its next two games, a pattern that would repeat itself throughout the entire season, resulting in the Seahawks missing the playoffs that year.

I actually attended the Monday night game vs. the Rams that year. What I remember is that Eric Dickerson held out that year but came back in time for - you guessed it! - that game against the Seahawks. As I recall he didn't do much in the first half of that game but in the 2nd half he did what he usually did back then and basically ran roughshod over the Seahawks who, in response, could generate hardly any offense at all and ended up losing rather badly (the Seahawks wouldn't beat the Rams for the first time until the 1990s).

In all, it was a disappointing season, for sure. But maybe we should have known better than to expect too much after the Seahawks stumbled at the end of the 1984 season after the aforementioned 12 - 2 start (losing 3 of their last 4 games that season, [including playoffs] the most disappointing [at least to me] of which was the season-ending loss AT HOME to DEN which ended up costing the Seahawks the division title. Especially galling as the Seahawks had gotten a rare win at Mile High earlier in the season but weren't able to secure the season sweep of the HATED Broncos in a game with so much on the line). They DID get a measure of revenge over the defending S.B. champion Raiders in the A.F.C. W.C. game that year in a tight 13 - 7 win at home but their season ended with a loss the next week when the Dolphins exacted upon them the same sort of revenge that the Seahawks had gotten over the Raiders the week before).