Jets-VS-Giants history

sheajets

Re: Jets-VS-Giants history

Post by sheajets »

Best game they ever played in my opinion was 2015, also went into OT and had a furious late Jets ccomeback

1993 both Jets and Giants should've made the playoffs but the Jets choked that spot away. Jets won a 10-6 game on Halloween.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

Gary Najman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:18 pm There was a time in the 80s that the "other" #56 in NY (Lance Mehl) was playing at a Pro Bowl level, and it was showcased in ESPN.

IIRC in 1988 they met in the last game of the season, and the Jets knocked out the Giants out of the playoffs.

It will be interesting to list players who have played for both franchises. I remember off the top of my head P Dave Jennings and C Joe Fields in the 80s, and a few years ago WR Brandon Marshall. And of course WR Don Maynard.
Technically no since the Giants could still make it with a 49ers win over the Rams on Sunday night. But as Phil Simms said in the postgame, the 9ers will lay down like dogs that day...Rams 38 49ers 16

few other Jets and Giants. Sam Garnes, David Meggett, Damon Harrison, Jumbo Elliot
Gary Najman

Post by Gary Najman »

sheajets wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:48 am
Gary Najman wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2023 2:18 pm There was a time in the 80s that the "other" #56 in NY (Lance Mehl) was playing at a Pro Bowl level, and it was showcased in ESPN.

IIRC in 1988 they met in the last game of the season, and the Jets knocked out the Giants out of the playoffs.

It will be interesting to list players who have played for both franchises. I remember off the top of my head P Dave Jennings and C Joe Fields in the 80s, and a few years ago WR Brandon Marshall. And of course WR Don Maynard.
Technically no since the Giants could still make it with a 49ers win over the Rams on Sunday night. But as Phil Simms said in the postgame, the 9ers will lay down like dogs that day...Rams 38 49ers 16

few other Jets and Giants. Sam Garnes, David Meggett, Damon Harrison, Jumbo Elliot
How could I forget about Jumbo Elliott. His TD catch in the 2000 Monday Night Miracle game against Miami is a classic.
LeonardRachiele

Post by LeonardRachiele »

I really believe that the NFL Division should be realigned so that the Giants-Jets and the Rams-Chargers would be play each other twice a year every year. These intercity rivals are good for the teams and really all of the NFL. The four teams would also save money
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

That Jets win in OT in 1974 ... was that the only time Namath led the Jets on a subsequent six-game winning streak?
racepug

Post by racepug »

LeonardRachiele wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:10 pm I really believe that the NFL Division should be realigned so that the Giants-Jets and the Rams-Chargers would be play each other twice a year every year. These intercity rivals are good for the teams and really all of the NFL. The four teams would also save money
I agree. The N.F.L. seems to have a "thing" about not having teams from the same city or the same state in the same division (with a couple of exceptions: SFO and the Rams, and CIN and CLE).
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

LeonardRachiele wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 10:10 pm I really believe that the NFL Division should be realigned so that the Giants-Jets and the Rams-Chargers would be play each other twice a year every year. These intercity rivals are good for the teams and really all of the NFL. The four teams would also save money
They have to be in different conferences. Or, that is why SF could not go to AFC in 1970. It would have been logical for them to go over with Cleveland (AAFC) but NFL didn't want two teams from same area in same conference.

Had they done that the "new AFC" would have had the AFL plus Cleveland and San Francisco plus "quasi Baltimore" and Steelers could have stayed in NFC---would have been established NFL vs new league teams

but they didn't want Raiders and 49ers in same conference ... thought it was too much of an encroachment on the territory or whatever they were thinking as to why.
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

sheajets wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2023 11:43 am Best game they ever played in my opinion was 2015, also went into OT and had a furious late Jets ccomeback

1993 both Jets and Giants should've made the playoffs but the Jets choked that spot away. Jets won a 10-6 game on Halloween.
Wonder how the playoffs would have looked if the Jets didn't get screwed in Week 17 at Buffalo (with that Thomas TD that should have been a touchback) and the Giants beat Dallas in Week 18.
racepug

Post by racepug »

JohnTurney wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:50 amThey have to be in different conferences. Or, that is why SF could not go to AFC in 1970. It would have been logical for them to go over with Cleveland (AAFC) but NFL didn't want two teams from same area in same conference. . .but they didn't want Raiders and 49ers in same conference ... thought it was too much of an encroachment on the territory or whatever they were thinking as to why.
This suggests, to me, that SFO was willing to move to the A.F.C. in 1970. I was not aware that they ever were interested in doing so. From what I've read it was always just PIT, CLE, and (then-)BAL.
JohnTurney wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:50 amHad they done that the "new AFC" would have had the AFL plus Cleveland and San Francisco plus "quasi Baltimore" and Steelers could have stayed in NFC---would have been established NFL vs new league teams
I swear I read once that Paul Brown was under the impression, when he was awarded a team in Cincinnati, that his team would join the older league. I wonder if the Bengals were put in the A.F.L. to keep them and the Browns from being in the same league (only for things to change, of course, when the Browns agreed to move to the A.F.C. a couple years later).
JohnTurney wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 5:50 amOr, that is why SF could not go to AFC in 1970.
SFO and the LAR being in the same conference/division only makes sense. I think the N.F.L.'s hands are somewhat tied, there. Besides, that one makes for a nice northern California/southern California rivalry.

I think some things are done simply to adhere to tradition (or whatever). I mean, with the current league makeup there's no good reason (in my opinion) to keep the Cowboys in the N.F.C. East. In my opinion the Cowboys and the CAR Panthers should be swapped but I suspect that the Cowboys' rivalries with the other teams in the N.F.C. East are so well ingrained that the N.F.L. doesn't want to mess with that.

Same kind of thing, I think, with keeping the Dolphins in the A.F.C. East. If it were up to me the Colts would be moved to the A.F.C. North, the Ravens would be moved to the A.F.C. East, and the Dolphins would be moved to the A.F.C. South. But "messing with tradition/rivalries" and "(generally speaking) we don't want two teams based in the same state in the same conference/division" I'm guessing are the reasons such moves weren't made when the HOU Texans entered the league in 2002.
JohnTurney

Post by JohnTurney »

racepug wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2023 11:53 am (1) This suggests, to me, that SFO was willing to move to the A.F.C. in 1970. I was not aware that they ever were interested in doing so. From what I've read it was always just PIT, CLE, and (then-)BAL.

(2) I swear I read once that Paul Brown was under the impression, when he was awarded a team in Cincinnati, that his team would join the older league. I wonder if the Bengals were put in the A.F.L. to keep them and the Browns from being in the same league (only for things to change, of course, when the Browns agreed to move to the A.F.C. a couple years later).

(3) SFO and the LAR being in the same conference/division only makes sense.
(1) I was responding to LeonardRachiele's suggestion that cities with two teams should be aligned in same division. I was pointing out that probably is still a non-starter like it was in 1969. SF's desires aside it couldn't have happened, it was off the table per policy or ground rules they were locked in because of them being in the same city as Oakland and Oakland was staying in AFC.

(2) Had not heard that. Would like to know more about that. Sounds interesting. Rozelle's original "realignment" random drawing had them in the so-called NFC along with Miami, SD, Den, Boston. Obviously, that was not workable.

But once Modell agreed to move to AFC it was conditional. Steelers had to also move and Browns and Bengals had to be in same division those were his terms. Rosenbloom had maintained he'd be the failsafe. He wanted to stay in NFL but if it would help a stalemate, he'd move. And that is what finally had to happen.

At least that is my understanding based on limited knowledge.

(3) Yes, that was also an absolute predetermined policy -- LA and SF in the same division.