Teams you feel aren't ever going anywhere

racepug

Teams you feel aren't ever going anywhere

Post by racepug »

The Raiders - of course they've won S.B.s but the most recent was 40 years ago and under their current ownership it just feels - as I mentioned in another thread - like they aren't going to do anything positive of note any time soon. I'm certainly not expecting them to.

The Chargers - as I posted elsewhere an N.F.L. columnist on Yahoo! recently stated that he no longer has much faith in the Chargers (their collapse in the playoffs last year didn't help). They have just the one S.B. appearance and their last title of any kind came 60 years ago. Not much there to convince me that they're going to win (or even challenge for) any league championships any time soon.

The Cardinals - no league championships since 1947. Personally, I wish they'd won in their one S.B. appearance, but they didn't, and they certainly don't look like they're going to be making an appearance in that game, again, any time soon.

The Dolphins - another franchise for which it has been AGES (50 years, to be exact) since they won a league title. Heck, the Miami Dolphins haven't made it as far as a conference championship game since the early '90s. A strong legacy (thanks to the [early] Don Shula years) but not much positive to say about MIA over the last 40 years, or so.

The N.F.C. entry based in TX - need I remind anybody how long it's been since that team played in a S.B. or even in a conference title game? But they get hyped up every season just the same - something that I simply cannot get my head around.

MIN - the first four times they got to a league/conference championship game they went unbeaten. Since then - nothing. I mentioned in another thread that it's not wise to have much faith in the MIN Vikings if you have your wits about you and I stand by that.
Brian wolf

Re: Teams you feel aren't ever going anywhere

Post by Brian wolf »

I get where youre coming from racepug but some of these teams can still hit paydirt due to television, free agency and the draft. Any team can win in any given year. Parity rules, which means the dominant team is frowned upon, though the Chiefs could get there but it will be difficult because Vegas likes postseason upsets.

Before Reid got there, nobody thought the Chiefs could win it all again but then they get Mahomes, a player Shanahan in SF didnt even SCOUT! Now the Niners have to hope Mr Irrelevent can take a loaded team all the way ... We will see if the Raiders, Chargers, Dolphins, or Vikings can surprise. The Cowboys underachieve because Jerry Jones doesnt play fair in regards to revenue with the other owners. The Cardinals will probably never go anywhere till the team is sold.
JameisBrownston

Post by JameisBrownston »

Are you suggesting Vegas buys off the refs in the playoffs or something, Brian? That would explain some irregularities of recent fame... Those usually seem to fall in favor of the favorites, though, not the 'dogs.
JuggernautJ

Post by JuggernautJ »

"Not go anywhere?"

The Raiders have already proved they're willing to "go" (move) anywhere if it means a buck.
I'm pretty sure the Raiders will be the first team on the moon if they think it is profitable.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

I just feel Vegas and gambling love underdogs. Many people thought the Chiefs were underdogs to Philly due to Mahomes ankle injury, yet many people also felt the Chiefs should have already had two championships before last season. They have been favored since 2018. Thats why I dont feel there will ever be another back-to-back champion, though the Chiefs can prove me wrong this year ... haha, I would bet against it.
JohnR

Post by JohnR »

Think about how Davis tricked Ed McGah into signing papers that handed him control of the franchise. If that never happens the franchise probably never leaves for LA or LV...and also isn't handed over to Mark Davis. Under this ownership the Raider ship is listing.
Brian wolf

Post by Brian wolf »

Not only that with Davis but original owner Wayne Valley got shoved out and is an afterthought ... Valley deserves more respect than that and credit for turning the Raiders around once he hired Davis, then giving him ownership stake when Davis could have been left in the cold once Rozelle became comissioner of both leagues.
rhickok1109

Post by rhickok1109 »

JameisSaintston wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 1:03 pm Are you suggesting Vegas buys off the refs in the playoffs or something, Brian? That would explain some irregularities of recent fame... Those usually seem to fall in favor of the favorites, though, not the 'dogs.
Why would Vegas favor one team over another? They make their money on the vigorish. That's why the point spread exists, to balance their books. When the point spread moves, it's because too much money is coming on one of the teams and they've got to lure bettors to be on the other team to keep the balance.
Bookies and the guys in Vegas are always on the lookout for anything strange. When Hornung and Karras got suspended, it was because Vegas tipped off Rozelle.
sheajets

Post by sheajets »

I've often felt this about the Jets, but this year brings renewed optimism

Lions have that feel to me. Like long valleys of misfortune with brief spurts of competitiveness (though not serious contendership)

The Bucs used to feel this way to me right up until they win their first Super Bowl.

Bengals to me feel like they'll never win one but will get fairly close here and there

The Texans. They just have this feeling of a nondescript blah franchise. Really wish the Oilers never moved as that team had an identity and feel to it. Their replacement just feels like a dollar store alternative to the Cowboys with no appeal. They're just...there
7DnBrnc53

Post by 7DnBrnc53 »

Lions have that feel to me. Like long valleys of misfortune with brief spurts of competitiveness (though not serious contendership)
They always seem to be missing that it factor, or that winning spirit. Honestly, it may have left with Bobby Layne. And then, you get the double whammy of the Ford's and GM Russ Thomas (one of the worst GM's ever).